Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan

Fan

The back of my tank is open, now should I have the fan blowing in or sucking out, I have it mounted on the back of the canopy in the center, also where can I get super quite fans, this one is way to loud.

Paze

liv
    push the air in, this way less salt can get into the fans.
    get pc fans that run 12v and run them at a slower rpm by lowering their voltage to like 9volts. they usually become dead quiet.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    What liv said... I have one blowing direction onto the water... helps cool the tank down while the lights are on and no salt. I can't remember what voltage I run the 12v on but I just purchased a variable at the dollar store for $7. You can't hear it!!

IJO

The lower voltage fans are also much safer for if they should ever take an accidental dip in the tank.:b13: I have 4 pc fans blowing across my surface. You'd never know they're on when they're called until you look at them, or feel the faint breeze.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Just set them up I put two of them on one on either end blowing in across the surface, these things are super quite, Go figure I paid $35 for 1 loud hunk of $%^# and $13 for 2 fans at a local computer shop that you dont even no are on, live and learn.

Paze

liv
    yup, dont reinvent the wheel as they say

I run my 4x 12v fans at 9.5v~ using a large resistor. I can be inches away.. all i hear is the wind.

I used to get all my fans at pc recyclers. Man I loved that place.. I knew the owner and usually got awesome deals on tons of stuff.
    My bro and I spent our Saturday mornings there.
    I remember picking up 10-20 fans at once .. larger possibly the 4"x4" 12v pc fans for ~2$ each.. what a bargain !
    I wish they were still opened to the public...

Quote Originally Posted by PAZE View Post
    Go figure I paid $35 for 1 loud hunk of $%^# and $13 for 2 fans at a local computer shop that you dont even no are on, live and learn.
    thats why you should check here first, we've been though all this before :b15:
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Senior Member upthecreekwithoutapaddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    push the air in, this way less salt can get into the fans.
    get pc fans that run 12v and run them at a slower rpm by lowering their voltage to like 9volts. they usually become dead quiet.
    dont want to hijack this thread but how do you set them to run at lower voltage?

liv
    get a resistance that will handle the wattage needed by the fan and get the right resistor to lower the voltage to what you want.

get the Amps or Watts taken by your fan.
    find a resistor calculator and you can calculate your draw from there.
    lets say your fan takes .5w to run ( 500 milliwatts ) 12v to 9v with .5w would take a 6ohms resistor at the appropriate wattage.. stronger would be better for the resistor wattage as it will lower the heat it may create.

or skip all that and simply get an ac-dc converter that goes multiple voltages.. and you can dial it in to your liking

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    or skip all that and simply get an ac-dc converter that goes multiple voltages.. and you can dial it in to your liking
    I remember I had purchased a variable ac/dc adapter for something years back. It goes from something like 3 volts in slow increments up to about 12 volts. I still see this exact ones in stores. It's like a universal ac/dc adapter and even has different connector tips. It would be very easy to work with if you don't go the resistor route...
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast