Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: electrical ??'s

electrical ??'s

Hey there, due to a blinking basement leak, I have had to pull down some drywall. On the upside it just so happens that the leak was above where I was planning to set my tank, I figured now is definetly the time to add GFI outlets etc. My house has a fusebox and I have heard that it may not be possible to add fuses to box especially for the GFI. Is this true?
    If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you in the first place!:b15:

I have never heard that a GFI outlet cannot be run from a fuse box but this question would best be answered by a Licensed Electrician. The problem may be in older houses outlets didn't have ground plugs, and therefore no ground wire.

You may want to consider converting you fuse panel to a breaker panel at the same time. Some insurance companies charge a premium for fuses. It shouldn't be too expensive to do and take less then a day.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    I upgraded mine when I added the garage, I think the cost was ~1500 to 2k.. but well worth it!

as for fuses, doesn't make sence why you couldn't add a circuit to that and run a gfci to it... but i'm no licensed electrician either

Still, the panel upgrade is the way to go for sure!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

there is no GFCI fuse that can be added to you box but you can use a GFCI receptacle on a fused circuit.

does your wiring have a ground conductor??
    do you have copper or aluminum wiring???

a GFCI will work fine without a ground but IMO having a ground is just as important as installing a GFCI and will / can save your circuits and possibly life in situations the GFCI wont. if your wiring isn't grounded and you have the walls open, it would be a good time to upgrade the circuits you can.

the lugs on GFCI's are not manufactured for use with aluminum wiring. if you have aluminum wiring you need to add copper pigtails using the proper marrette.

if you're not confident doing any of this a licensed electrician would be your best bet.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    ya.. no gfci fuse for sure..
    I was just thinking he could run a line to the fuse box into a regular box receptable, that box would have a regular gfci outlet. the fuse box should be grounded so attach your ground to it directly...

my 2cents

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Im not even sure insurance companys around here will even insure your home with a fuse panel, to be honest I think a breaker box is way more important then a gfi set up or even a fish tank, good luck either way you go.

Paze

I am fairly sure my insurance company does know I have a fuse box, the house was built around '76. It does have copper wiring and everything looks to be grounded.
    My general plan was to pick up enough 12/2 or 8/3 wire to run two lines from fuse box area and pigtail three outlets per wire. I am fairly confident I can accomplish this much. then I was going to have an electrian come in and attach said wires to fusebox, or perhaps install a 4-6 switch breaker box, but if I was to dot he breaker box I might as well get a GFI box and install regular outlets. I suppose I should just call an electrian and see what they would recommend.
    If at first you don't succeed, do it the way your wife told you in the first place!:b15:

Totaly agree, like that you know for sure it will be done right and you wont have to worrie about it.

Paze

where abouts are you? You could try Glen from copperhead electric. He's very knowledgeable.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by jobymoby123 View Post
    12/2 or 8/3

just a tip, 12 gauge wire is for 20 amp circuits and 8 gauge is way bigger and more expensive than you need for the aquarium. for a standard 15 amp circuit 14 gauge is the proper size conductor.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast