Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aquarium Chilling

Last year the temperature of my tank got way out of hand during the hot days of summer. I had always managed to keep the temperature of my 90 under control but the 220 was just too slow to respond and the now enclosed wet room just held too much heat. I've been trying (without success) to find someone who would sell me a chiller so I've decided to air condition my wet room.

My 220 G is completely enclosed by the wet room. The top and back are exposed in the room and the front and side are on the outside. All of the plumbing, pumps, and lights are in the wet room so I figure that cooling the room with a little portable 5000 BTU air conditioner ($299 at Pneu Canadienne) should do the trick nicely. All I've got to do is put the ceiling in the wet room and run the vent hose out and I should be laughing.

I'll post more details and pictures once I get it hooked up.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Return Pump: Iwaki MD55RLT
    Water Movement: Tunze Turbelle Stream 6060, 4 x MaxiJet 1200
    Lighting: 60" Outer Orbit dual 250 W 10k HQI and quad 48" T5HO Actinic
    Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

Experience: Fresh since 1976 - Marine since 1987

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/hank.carr

Ok...as I said in my last post...I bought a $299 air conditioner at Canadian Tire that gives me 5000 btu of cooling. I hung it from the ceiling on a platform made of 3/4" GIS plywood. I have yet to turn it on because I haven't gotten the last piece of the ceiling put up.

Large version:

http://www.dna.ca/aquarium/aquarium%20ac.jpg

This will air condition the small room behind my aquarium and should keep the temperature down. Three sides of the aquarium will be exposed to the air in the rest of the house but the water's surface, cooling fans, and all the plumbing will be in cool air.

If you look at the big picture you will see that the platform is hung on four large springs. This is to isolate vibrations and reduce noise.

Here's a video:

http://www.dna.ca/aquarium/spring%20mount.mpg

More once I get it up and running and see how it works.

Hank.
    220G mixed reef main, 30 G (3 x 10) brood/grow-out, 25 G secondary, 6 G frag with shared sump

Skimmer: Precision Marine Bullet-2 with Iwaki MD55RLT, WC610 waste collector, and gate valve

liv
    nice
    it may also help to vent your wet room directly out if you haven't done that already, I find it helps alot. then for additional cooling I open a vent or 2. funny thing is on my 400g i never had a temp issue.. its the opposite.. I still have to heat it in the summer. my next tank will be more of a challenge.. I'll most likely resort to direct venting that room outside.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    nice
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    it may also help to vent your wet room directly out if you haven't done that already, I find it helps alot. then for additional cooling I open a vent or 2. funny thing is on my 400g i never had a temp issue.. its the opposite.. I still have to heat it in the summer. my next tank will be more of a challenge.. I'll most likely resort to direct venting that room outside.
    I think my biggest problem is that my wet room is fairly small and has a lot of stuff in it. It is like an insulated box surrounding the lights and pumps holding the heat in the tank. Last year I left the wet room door open all summer and the temperature still got high enough that I lost a beautiful yellow turbinaria as well as about 24 heads of duncan, some xenia, and a colt. I've been thinking about putting in the smallest HRV that I can get my hands on. For now the AC is going to vent out the east end of the house. That should help a lot.

We're in a straw bale house so we don't air condition anything but two of the bedrooms upstairs and only when it is very warm and humid so the house goes up to 25 or 26 degrees on occasion.

Hank.

liv
    I put a fan in my wet room, it runs 24/7
    I find this evens out the humidity in the room,
    then I run a humidistat on a vortec fan which direct vents outside.
    if I need additional cooling, I open a vent for some AC.. but its rare... usually the fan and direct vent is quite enough to keep things under control.

I got the AC turned on yesterday and just dropped the drain hose into a 2 L soft drink bottle. Unfortunately, it was a bottle that I had drilled a hole in to build a hatchery. I ended up with 1 L of water on my floor. Fortunately, it's a concrete floor so it wasn't a big deal. I switched bottles and checked back in a couple of hours and the bottle was more than half full. So...I shut down again and today plumbed it in directly.

I have the AC set for 76 F.

When I started it up this afternoon the aquarium was running around 80 degrees.

I'll post the temperature when the lights go out at 8 PM.

Hank.

It sucks having to turn ac on for fish doesn't it? Mine is going to have to be turned on soon too. Fans help alot but in an enclosed room its pretty tough to keep the temps down I'm sure. Wouldn't a chiller be more efficient than cooling an entire room though? At least you'll be cool when your working in there

Quote Originally Posted by RKelman View Post
    It sucks having to turn ac on for fish doesn't it? Mine is going to have to be turned on soon too. Fans help alot but in an enclosed room its pretty tough to keep the temps down I'm sure. Wouldn't a chiller be more efficient than cooling an entire room though? At least you'll be cool when your working in there
    I dunno, Rob. It's a small room (only 5' x 5' inside with a 9' 8" ceiling.) A chiller for my tank in that location would be over $2000 and I've had trouble getting anyone to give me a quote.

The AC should help. I'm also going to adjust my photo period and will probably work on direct venting the fans on my MH lights.

Hank.

liv
    2k for a chiller.. yikes!
    you do have a ton of water in your system.
    You checked ebay ?
    when I was looking for one, there were tons there. make sure its saltwater rated. ( titanium core )

not sure what your photoperiod is like but 8h of MH is quite enough in my mind.

liv
    600$~cdn + shipping..
    saltwater rated, titanium core and works on tanks up to 800gallons.
    1hp motor
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/NEW-1-HP-CHILLER-REEF-FISH-TANK-AQUARIUM-NEW_W0QQitemZ150351709776QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item2301a90650&_trksid=p3286.c0. m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1215|240% 3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast