Thread: chips...

chips...

Hi all,
    I just finished drilling my tank (1 3/4" holes) for my overflow. The first hole was messy. By that I mean, the hole was not a clean cut and did leave a piece intacked that I had to go in from the other side and drill it out to complete the hole. There is a tear shaped chip (dime size) missing from it as well as a lateral chip aside the hole. I attemted to fill both holes with silicone and hope that once the tank is filled, it will not cause the glass to crack. The holes were drilled for my overflow. I should also perhaps mention that the chips mentioned are on the inside - side of the glass.
    As for the second hole, It was a clean cut. No chips or abnormalities in the cut.
    I will fill it tomorrow of water and see if the pressure creates any further problems. If so, I will have to abondon the tank for a new and get a glass shop to drill it instead of myself. As the old saying goes; Once bittin 2wice shy!
    Cheers,
    Will

Is it cracked at all or just chipped in places surrounding the hole? I would think as long as you don't have a crack starting it should be ok. If there's a crack starting, it makes me wonder if it can be brought in to a glass shop and injected in the crack to prevent it from spreading... similar to how they fix window chips on the front of car windshields.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

liv
    hmmm.. dime sized chip.. well.. all depends the amount of pressure your going to have. if it is on a wall.. then its probebly high enough to withstand some pressure. if its bottom and has full pressure, that can be different.
    but if its just a chip with no cracks extending.. i'd think of it like, what if I would have drilled a bigger hole ? that chip would be inside the hole. so unless you are too close to an edge.. i'd say your possibly ok. be gentle fitting in the bulkheads, use a nice bead of silicone all around.
    post some pics

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

chippy..

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    hmmm.. dime sized chip.. well.. all depends the amount of pressure your going to have. if it is on a wall.. then its probebly high enough to withstand some pressure. if its bottom and has full pressure, that can be different.
    but if its just a chip with no cracks extending.. i'd think of it like, what if I would have drilled a bigger hole ? that chip would be inside the hole. so unless you are too close to an edge.. i'd say your possibly ok. be gentle fitting in the bulkheads, use a nice bead of silicone all around.
    post some pics
    Hi,
    Well, it is far from any edge. The over flow is now attached to the tank and taking any photos of the chip would be next to difficult to do. I applied some clear silicone in the depression it left behind and snugged up the bulk head gently.
    I think the deciding factor of the "chip" possibly spreading or causing any issues would be too much movement on the bulk head once it has been dightened after the rest of the plumbing is completed.
    Because there is no water pressure going through the bulk head, I think It should be ok.
    I will take some photos after I get the rest of my filtration completed.
    Thanks for your reply!
    Cheers,
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    Is it cracked at all or just chipped in places surrounding the hole? I would think as long as you don't have a crack starting it should be ok. If there's a crack starting, it makes me wonder if it can be brought in to a glass shop and injected in the crack to prevent it from spreading... similar to how they fix window chips on the front of car windshields.
    I too thought about that repair method as well however, it is not a crack and therefore I don't think I will bother worrying about it any further.
    Once I get the rest of the filtration completed I will post some pics.
    Cheers,
    Will

liv
    One thing you could do is cut an extra piece of glass like 1/2" thick.. and silicone it to this one ( drilling it first ) the glass to glass would make that area that much stronger.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by liv View Post
    One thing you could do is cut an extra piece of glass like 1/2" thick.. and silicone it to this one ( drilling it first ) the glass to glass would make that area that much stronger.
    That's a good idea, I will consider it for sure.
    Thx!
    W