1st Gen Bubble King 180 with Bubble Blaster HY-2000S

So after being fed up with the BS involved in getting a motor block for my first generation bubble king mini 180 skimmer (long story posted in other thread), I purchased a Reef Octopus bubble blaster hy-2000s as an alternative pump to get my tank back up and skimming.
    I did all the necessary modifying, and the results are OUTSTANDING!

When I received this pump, I was shocked at the sheer size of this thing. It's far larger then my existing red dragon. My initial plan was to not have to modify any of my bubble king parts (so I could always go back to making it original). However, this bubble blaster was so big, that it wouldn't even fit in the column of my skimmer without making the existing volute opening on the chamber significantly larger... So now I had to do a permanent skimmer mod that has no turning back.
    Needless to say, I had high expectations with the facts that this pump should perform similarly to a Gen2 Bking when installed in the same manner.
    First, had to make inlet opening on chamber almost 2 inches in diameter. Second, was to tap some screws threw the bubble blasters lower plate to securely mount it to the skimmers bottom with the original titanium screws. third, block most holes underneath skimmer from water escaping. (it's ok for water to still escape, but not much).
    fourth, increase opening on the lower bubble plate holder to accept the opening of 1.25" on the bubble blasters top threads...
    The skimmer now pulls a lot more air and slightly more water. My bubble plate is lower, which creates a longer reaction time with the bubbles. The skimmer is creating skimmate FAR better then when it was new. As far as noise goes, this thing is quiet. I think it's quiet because of the fact it's inside the skimmer chamber, which is also inside the sump, giving me a double sound barrier. The only thing I really hear is the hiss of the air going threw the air line when I'm peeking under my stand. All in all, I'm extremely impressed. I'll just have to wait and see how this pump performs long term.

The whole mod took me 2.5 hours. I was doing everything very carefully with proper measurements. You don't want to make a mistake when you're increasing the size of the intake opening on your acrylic column.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Pics would be great, and nice job in the mod. Always good to be able to mod things to fit your needs.
    30 Gallon Breeder Driiled
    20 Gallon Sump
    Bubble Magus NAC6A skimmer
    2 -Vortech MP10 ES
    Quite one 3000 return
    40 lbs of LS
    60 lbs of LR

100% NPS

liv
    this thread needs pics! :b2:

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

It will hopefully be a while before I get pics. I wanted to take pics of the mod a long the way, but I was way too anxious to quickly put it together and install it since it took so insanely long to get here. Next time I take it out to do a thorough cleaning, I'll take pictures then.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse