Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Talking DIY - LED CREE XRE for 120G

Hello folks. I just ordered two (2) full LED DIY kits from Reef LED lights and I have been very impressed by Bill's (Owner) service. He has responded to all my emails (over a dozen).

This is a total of 96 LED lights for my 120G tank. :b2: I'm expecting to receive them today or Friday, Monday the latest. The two kits ($400 each) including water resistant spray and shipping is currently costing me $1100. A kit like this could run me over $3000 - $4000.

I was thinking of posting my progress in this thread, take pictures and follow my progress. I was told that this is a weekend job.

My tank is 6 feet long and I will hang one unit on each side. Eventually, I will connect an APEX Controller and will be able to simulate sun-up, sun-down, moon cycles, storm effects and currents.

Each Kit Includes:

48 Cree XRE LEDs (24 Cool White & 24 Royal Blue) w Optics (80 degrees)
    4 x Mean Well ELN 60-48D (Dimmable Drivers)
    2 X Ultra Quiet 23 dB Fan w Powersupply
    1 X 24″ x 8.46″ Heat Sink
    2 X Thermal Adhesive and End Caps
    4 X Leviton Polarized 15A Plug
    Everything you need for a DIY Retro except for 20-22 gauge and solder. This LED retro will replace a 250-400 watt MH. :b7:

Cheers everyone and Merry Christmas!

I am very interested in this build!!!

Awesome!! Post pics as you go if you can! I'd love to see the build...

liv
    sweet ! congrats on the new goodies,
    I think you will love the 80deg optics

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Quote Originally Posted by Aquastar View Post
    I was thinking of posting my progress in this thread, take pictures and follow my progress. I was told that this is a weekend job.

My tank is 6 feet long and I will hang one unit on each side. Eventually, I will connect an APEX Controller and will be able to simulate sun-up, sun-down, moon cycles, storm effects and currents.

yes please :b2:

we would love to see pics of the build as well as all the effects (once your there )

i'm planning a new tank and due to size and shape i've been avoiding the lighting question. with the info you provide and the great DIY price, i think LED's can now be added as a serious option.......
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I'm still waiting for my boxes to arrive. I expect one to arrive today and the other Monday or Tuesday. As soon as I'll open the boxes, I'll start taking pictures and I'll go along with my progress.

I currently have 2 x 30'' Coralife Lunar Aqualight Deluxe Series w/ LED (Power Compacts) so I'll take some before and after shots.

BTW, I'm selling my 2 Coralife fixtures if ever anyone is interested. Paid over $500 1 year ago and opnly used them for 6-7 months. I'm asking $350.

Merry Christmas!

I am considering going this same route...

what are your thoughts on the reefbrite strips currently for sale. I can get them locally for $252 for a 24 led fixture...that would put me at 96 lights for about the same price but no work and less potential risk...

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    I am considering going this same route...

what are your thoughts on the reefbrite strips currently for sale. I can get them locally for $252 for a 24 led fixture...that would put me at 96 lights for about the same price but no work and less potential risk...
    TheReefbrite seem to be doing well but I haven't done enough research on them. I was considering them but my issue was that they came in 42 inches max when my tank is 60 inches. Plus, I wanted to add a controller at some point and the strips are not dimmable. BUT... great product as far as I know. Good luck and please post some pics. Should be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquastar View Post
    TheReefbrite seem to be doing well but I haven't done enough research on them. I was considering them but my issue was that they came in 42 inches max when my tank is 60 inches. Plus, I wanted to add a controller at some point and the strips are not dimmable. BUT... great product as far as I know. Good luck and please post some pics. Should be nice.
    I think I'll wait and see how yours goes. I've had my eye on those kits for a little while too...good luck and looking forward to the pics. thx

This is just to inform all of you, in the post, that I have not forgoten about the forum. I did receive my LED kit and I have started the build. Almost done but I learned that a Soldering Gun is too hot for the LEDs and so I ended up burning a couple. Right now, ReefLEDlights are sending me some replacements at a discounted price. So, I will wait. I also have to build my brackets, where my lights will sit... in my canope.

I would like to note that Bill (the owner of ReefLEDLights . com) has been very helpful. He responds to all my emails within the hour (with a couple of exceptions) even during the holidays and at all times of the day. When I was asking about the soldering, he ask that I send a picture to him. He reviewed my picture and sugested that I use a solder pen vs a gun. He also talked to a colleague for additional info and came back to me with more suggestions.

AWESOME SUPPORT THUS FAR!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast