Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

anyone build/use surge devices?

my next project for the fishroom is a surge device. there are tonnes of plans on the net, of which i've down loaded several. i would like to have the option/advice of someone who has actually built/used one.

1. what are a few tips that you found out the hard way when building/using one.
    2. in hindsight, is building/using a surge device worth the effort, not cost wise, but as an overall benefit to your tank.
    Barry

Patience is a virtue.

#2 - Any method of water movement that creates ether random current, back and forth motion or both is IMO worth the effort. Corals and other filter feeders WILL atrophy on the none current side when exposed to water movement that is always from the same direction.
    Rob

I personally have never used one but have seen a tank in a house that had one. It worked fine but the owners never really got used to the sound of the rushing water everytime it happened. Eventhough it was inside a cabinet and not THAT loud, it was still noticeable and always in the background which became annoying to everyone that was ever in the house. They ended up taking it off and using the various water movers like the Swirls and whatnot.

HMMMM ... nothing personal toward those folks but ....how could anyone in the aquarium hobby not get used to and or like the sound of moving water ???? It's part of what we do.
    Rob

Flashing toilet sound every 10 minutes.......
    What happened to …Balance…
    Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

I think if it was like a constant noise it ll be like a water fall or so which is quite soothing but when its not i dont thing it would be a soothing noise at all

I tried a Borneman surge device for a while. That's the one with a toilet valve.

It worked ok. I couldn't really tune it though so that it wouldn't have this big splash of microbubbles. They would last the duration of the surge. Between that, and the fact that the float was constantly getting stuck on something and needing manual intervention to unstick it, I gave up on it. Which was too bad because I did kind of dig the "whoosh/splash" sound every minute, it was a lot like the sound of surf. Mind the sound of the tank itself emptying did have a gurgly/toilety kind of sound, but I didn't mind that too much.

A Carlson surge has no moving parts so wouldn't have that last problem but they too tend to introduce a lot of bubbles.

If I was to try again I might try a more automated solution like a float switch and a solenoid valve. If the discharge tube is constantly flooded there should be far fewer bubbles introduced during the surge.

A little bit of bubbles isn't too offensive, I find that with too many it does tend to get distracting and you get salt spray on your reflectors and bulbs and stuff.
    -Tony

My next hobby will be flooding my basement while repeatedly banging my head against a brick wall and tearing up $100 bills. Whee!

I have looked at many surge devices, some complex some very simple, most of the comments eventually return to the noise they make, sounds (if you excuse the pun) like the best way to make it silent is to have the outlet below the surface of the tank and have the surge halted before the surge tank is drained.
    Personally I would like to see a surge out at the same time, one would help the other and the tank would see no noticeable water level change.the effect as a result of filling and draining is better than either filling or draining individually.

Paul

Nothing happened to balance ... Toutouche said in his post that it was not THAT loud ??? Given his experience in the hobby I took that as meaning the noise level was tolerable. Some folks BUY recordings of ocean waves, wind howling, thunder and other noises made by natural elements. It is for sure a different strokes for different folks thing. BUT if they indeed do sound like a toilet flushing every 10 min ... well that's different EH.

Rob

There are a number of threads about surge tanks over on RC. These are two recent ones with links to other discussions.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=250410

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...hreadid=249608
    Nick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast