Topoff Water Quality

Thought i would start a new thread somewhat related to a diy auto t\o setup.
    I currently use a 55 gallon water drum to hold my top off water. I have things rigged so that the water level reaches about half way in the 55 gallow drum. I'm looking for ideas to keep the topoff water "fresh" so to speak while it is being used by the system. What i'm currently doing to keep the water from going slimmy or stagnant is to run a powerhead in the drum to give some circulation and i also use a black garbage bag wrapped around the filled portion of the drum to try and keep light from that part of the tank. From time to time i do take out the maxi 1200 to clean it and what i notice is the clear hose that connects to the mg1200 is pretty slippery. (bacteria i guess). Anyone have any ideas how i can keep the water in there even better while it is being used and replenished? I was thinking of running something in there with carbon in it but not sure what. Any thoughts??

Jeff

if the water your using is coming from a RO unit it should be starting the storage period in real good shape. I would suggest that you seal the top of the container with a removable lid. Drill a 1/4 inch diameter hole in the lid and add air to the storage water. run the air supply line through a water filter and it will be very clean. This will make the container a positive pressure area and no dirty bacteria laden air from the room will get it there. Be sure to use a one way valve on the air line as well. If you put a spigot in the lower part of the container you will only ever have to open it to clean the power head from time to time .

Rob

now there's something i never considered. Adding air to the inside of the container making it a positive pressure area makes sence. If i were to add air to the inside of the tank, would it be better to have it submerged in the tank or above the water line. What so you mean by running the air through a water filter? What type of water filter are you referring to? What do you think of running some activated carbon in the topoff water somehow? Thanks OSD!
    Jeff

Make a simple air filter like they use in paint shops to keep dust and oil out of the mix. I would not use carbon in the container. that would just add to the maintenance ... needing to check up on it and clean or recharge it. Not to mention that the water in the container would have to be cycled through it for it to work. Submerse the air line and use a stone that will not create too much back pressure. Never hurts to aerate your water. Heres a pic of a simple air filter.
    Rob

Jeff

how bad are we talking? Did you test it with a TDS meter? I have one and can make a trip out. If its just a little slimy in the tube I seriously won't stress it to much. From what I know you aren't using a RO/DI or did you buy one? You will never get all the bacteria out of the air or water. If your not using that much topoff try filling/setting your levels to half of the barrel.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I store my fresh water in a 29 gallon Rubbermaid trash can with lid.

I tested the water with a Hanna handheld TDS meter... tested 0 TDS.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

thanks for the input guys. I've ask Johnny to test the top-off water with his meter next time he's out.