Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

working with acrylic

I see lot's of threads on boards about using acrylic with glass. What is everyone using to bond it to the tanks for overflows?

Has anyone had any problems combining the two?

liv
    just a guess.. but its probebly silicone.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I hear that silicone does not bond well to acrylic though.

I would not trust a bond between silicone and acylic for tank building but some have used it for there overflow boxes as there not as much stress. I use it in this way with no probs but if your talking about tank walls don't try it.

No the intention is for an overflow and baffles in a sump. Just worried after reading about it on other sites.

I thought everyones tanks that I've viewed lately used silicone for the sump.

well it all depend on the sump. ACRYLIC sumps use ACRYLIC baffles and GLASS with GLASS. overflow boxes are glass or sometimes acrylic. It might hold. My overflow box held very well.

I used silicone on my overflows, acrylic to glass. They leaked the first time and I had to remove all the water, the overflows and scape the silicone away to start over.

The second time it worked fine.

Andrew

DId you do anything different or use another type of silicone?

I used the same silicone just more.

The first time I put the overflows in, I put them in place and then ran the silicone on the outside (tank side not the stand pipe side). The force of the water pushing against the overflow, when the tank was being filling, was enough to bow the acrylic separating the silicone from the acrylic and creating a leak. I stoped filling the tank to see how much would empty into the sump. All of the water leaked under the overflows.

I could have filled the overflow chambers at the same time as the main tank so the force of the water on the joint would have been less. I guess I wasn't smart enough to think of that.

So.... I took out the overflows and all the silicone, added some supporting pieces to the overflows so they wouldn't bow and started over.

This time I dry fitted the overflows to see where the acrylic and the glass met and marked that line. I took out the overflows and ran a very thick bead on the line. When I placed the overflows on the silicone, the joint had silicone between the acrylic and glass (very important and the strongest part of the joint) and on both sides. I smoothed out the bead and added more on the outside.

I hope you can picture what I did. This is a very important step and if somthing goes wrong the overflows will not work properly.

Like This is best

If you want to use silicone to bond your plxi glass overflow wall into the corner of your tank be sure to round off the corners of the plxi wall so that it will not be under any pressure from the silicone bead that holds the tank wall to the bottom. this will also allow a much better fit. SAND the edges and about 1/4 of an inch of the face and back where the silicone will contact the plxi to give the silicone something to grab. I did mine this way and NO problems for 12 years now. OH also min 1/4 inch thick plxi. if there is any flex it will let go.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast