Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sump/overflow

sump/overflow

I have decided to go with a sump on my new 37 g tank. What size of overflow/return do I need? Also, how big of a pump do I need considering the top of my tank is about 5' high. What type of overflow would be best, I need something quiet but compact (am I dreaming here). Any other details I forgot concerning this? Thanks.

i have been looking for someone to help me out for the past 2 months and nothing yet
    ABCDFISHMRNOTFISHSMRCDBDI'S

ab cd fish m r not fish s m r c d b d i's

You figure most people have similar setups and would be willing to help out, is Johnny Rock the only one using a sump?

Is that tank drilled ? If not you can go with a SOS overflow. Unfortunately I believe they are only one size.
    The trick is to have a really good return. I have one on my 108gal and I'm using a mag 7. I had a rio 1200 but that just wasn't enough. You could even goes for a mag 9 and would be laughing. This would also create some nice current in your tank. AS for size of the sump, well that really depends on your personal preference.

I had my tank drilled when i fiirst set it up so i don't know much about types of overflow you can use. I used a 20g rubber made container as my sump and Mag 7 for the return pump. You could also go for Mag 9 pump and make two returns back to your tank.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Reef Centreal has a calculator you can use to figure out head loss and flow.
    Nick

Eric .. get yourself a pump that will turn the total water volume of your system over 10 times an hour as a minimum. When you are looking at pumps there is almost always a chart with the instructions that will tell you how much flow is lost for different distances that the water must be pumped when it is being pumped straight up. so if you tank is about 47 gallons including the water in the sump you will want a pump with a net flow rate of about 500 gallons an hour. Tanking into account a 5 foot head before elbows I would use a MAG 7 as a minimum pump on this system. As for overflow hole size... I would go with 1 and 1/2 inch inside DIA. that will give you lots of safety margin and the parts are easy to find.
    Hope that helps
    Rob

post your looking to buy an overflow on the classifies, if your tank is already running then it's the only way less breaking down your tank to drill it. The SOS Tidepool is a good overflow I have used one of these on a 50 gal and it was good not to noisey. The only thing is that they are expensive around the LFS's. Get some prices from IJO. I'm looking at buying a new tank which is already set up with a sump I might have a SOS overflow forsale soon.
    stephen
    Stephen

The_man what are you looking to do?
    stephen
    Stephen

When you do your calculations, add 1 foot more of head pressure for every elbow in the return lines.
    Give us some more specifics about how the tank is, how/where you want to setup your sump/filter system and what you want as livestock ( corals that is) in the tank.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast