Thread: eric

Cool eric

To give you my honest oppion by the time you factor in the cost of converting to a sump/overflow tank its not worth it on a 37g tank. You would have to either get it drilled and plumb it[cost factor for sure] or, buy a hangon overflow or rig something up and buy a return pump. Its won't be less than $150 and probaly more to go this route just to turn around some short time later and want a bigger tank and have to do it all over again. I would waite and save for the next setup.

Hey Johnny, I understand what you mean and appreciate your opinion but this tank is in my living room and very visible when you walk in the front door. The tank only has a glass cover and PC lights (no hood) and I don't like the way the hang-on skimmer looks (I tried it) and don't want salt water spray all over my wall. Even though I may regret this later I want to put a sump even though it may not be worth it on my small tank. I just want to know the best way of doing it. I already have a sump on order and looked into drilling the tank, I was quoted about $25/hole, is this reasonable? I would like to plan this out as good as possible. Thanks.

eric

sorry but I guess I clicked on NEW MESSAGE instead of replying. If you want to go this route then the best is to get it drilled[make sure you buy you bulkhead first as there not all the same] and plumb it to the sump. I figure a MAG 7 or 9 would suite you for a return pump and you could even split it up to 2 returns in the tank. Use flex PVC otherwise known as spaflex or pool pipe. You'll need an overflow box as well and you could get away with 1'' drain but 1,1/2'' is better.

Thanks Johnny,
    Yeah, I think I'll get bulkheads from Ivan, 1" feed, possibly split in two (good idea) and a 1 1/2" drain then get the tank drilled.
    What is best for an overflow box/drain keeping it quiet but simple? How much volume do you want with a sump, is it 10 x tank volume? Once again, thanks a lot.

Eric,
    Take a look at the site in the link below. It explains how to build a Durso standpipe in the overflow boxes. This is ideal for making the tank silent.

http://www.rl180reef.com/pages/stand...pipe_frame.htm

Thanks all.