Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool Float Switch Protection

Hi DIY's I installed my floatswitch yesterday[Thanks Vince!!!!]
    and it works like a charm. I would like to know how to protect it from snails. I have a crude[but it works] holder for the switch but I was thinking of encasing it into some sort of clear acrylic box or tube with lots of hole fo water but not big enough for a snail or gobie to get into it and sit on my switch. Any one have ideas or pics?

Hi Johnny,

Are you using the float switch that Ivan is selling ? Would you mind post a schematic/wiring diagram ?

thanks.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Cool CLOWN FISH

I would if I could but I had TANG MAN build me a complete floatswitch with relay and transformer with powerchord! awsome work! I just plug and play. If you pm him maybe he can build you one. very good investment!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Johnny,
    Take a piece of 1" PVC pipe, put 2 endcaps on it, drill lots of 1/8" holes into the PVC pipe to allow water through, and mount your switch on one of the endcaps within the pipe!
    I'll try to get a picture somewhere...

Clownfish,
    I've built a couple of these floatswitch units for several people. I don't have a schematic handy as it is handwritten. If you are indeed interested in building it yourself, and are electronically inclined, I guess I could put the schematic onto a file and send it to you...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tang

got it. I guess then I'll have to invert the 2 wires from the switch so it activates when the float falls towards the nut as It will be attached upside down[so to speak] if I drill the endcap and screw it onto this on the inside of the PVC. now I don't want to permanently seal the endcap incase I need to get to the float right? I could just dangle the float inside the PVC but I don't want it to touch the sides.

Hi tang_man_montreal,

I'm very interested in building one mysefl and much appreciated for the file. I've already bought
    the float switch from Ivan.
    90G bb mixed reef set up in April 2005. I had 40g mixed reef for one year before that

Johnny,
    You got it... Except that inverting the wires on the floatswitch won't do anything. Try it, you'll see...
    What you can do, is just mount the switch upside down instead of right side up. This will invert the way it works.

Clown,
    I'll try to do it tonight, and PM you....

Unhappy

Am I missing something? If it goes on [upright] when the float hits the bottom [low water level] then if I install it upside down it won't activate the powerhead because the float would be in the off position unless the waterlevel rose and lifted the float to the on position. What am I missing?

Johnny,

Here's a crude picture of what I'm talking about..

The floatswitch mounted within a 1" PVC pipe with endcaps. The endcaps don't have to be glued. Just pressure fitted.

And here's the floatswitch inverted...

Note that the 1/8" holes should be going along the whole length of the PVC pipe. The picture only shows holes part way through the PVC pipe for clarity purposes only.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast