Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

closed loop idea

ok guys and gals heres an idea i've come up with after seeing many others and was wondering what you think and any opinions? the idea is to run a Mag 18 on the 66 gal and create a closed loop so there arent a bunch of powerheads in the tank..the idea in concept is to have a drilled tube for intake and then on the output from the pump T the top at the tank and run it to both corners as usual and then run 1 tube down about 1 inch above the sand and drill it to run as a spraybar...so what do you think??

pic

ooops forgot the pic

Personally, I'd drill the tank, but your idea is very similar to this:

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com...losedloop.html

yeah i want to drill the tank but its hard to find any place around here to drill it...and aquariums here are really expensive so id hate to try it myself and have to buy a new tank
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Cool

are you planning to have the MAG run both the returns and a spray bar? doubt you'll get much flow out of any of them all combined with that pump and all those elbows. I don't think MAGS do well under pressure and I hear nothing but probs with them when ran external. I can't believe theres not a glass company willing to drill the tank? I've had like 4 drilled by different glass companys here. They just say there not responsible if the tank cracks and none have yet.all that piping I would just get it drilled.

yeah johnny the mag is rated at 1800gph at zero head this one will just be running up tthe height of the tank..20 inches
    i know elbows will slow it down some but do you think it will that much? if so i'll think twice about the spraybar maybe add 1 return in each of the 4 corners??

Craig
    Craig

Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

Weeble, the rule of thumb is that each elbow adds one foot of head. At 20 inches, you have about 2 ft of head. If you have 4 elbows, you now have 6 feet of head. Here is the web site that will show you what the Mag is rated at for various heads - http://www.dannermfg.com/pondmaster/index.htm
    A Mag 18 at 6 feet of head runs at 1125 as an example.

Vickie

FWIW - We ran a Mag 7 external and had nothing but problems until we changed it for a Iwaki. Others say they have no problems with external Mags.

ok thanks vickie..i have the mag so will try it for now and see how things go think i may try it without the spray bar and then if i find it too much will add it later

thanks
    Craig
    Craig

Not trying to be different here as I know some people have had problems with the Mags externally. BUT... I have run 2x Mag 9.5 and 1 Mag 7 all externally and never had a problem. Even after dissmantling for periodic cleaning, never had any leak or not work.

Is it normal for a glass company to say they aren't responsible if the tank breaks during drilling? I called at least 15 places here and only one said they would do it...and at my own risk..just wondering if that's normal.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast