Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

my new 90 Gallon

ok, I'm upgrading from a 33G tank to a 90G.

I'm getting the tank next week from AC (Thanks!!) and I'm planning of streching the purchasing of all the equipment over until the end of May. (I move on May 1rst).

I want to get the best price so I'll be doing alot of it myself. I'll be starting with a fish only with live rock and then slowly moving towards a reef.

the first thing I need is a stand. I'm interested in a steel frame to witch I will add a nice wood finish much like percula's great tank. (I'm very interested in his remarks here). Where do I get this steel frame, what are my options?

Fot the fuge and the sump (I'll have both), can I use a rubermaid for the fuge also? (I will for the sump).

Thanks!
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

HI conan!

IMO you could go in a wheelding shop and I`m sure you could have an custom made stand for a good price at your spec.

Goood luck
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

hmmm, good idea!! any shops you could refer me to?

Hi Conan.

Thanks for the nice remarks about my stand. I bought my steel stand at the same time I bought the tank. I too wanted to save some money, so I drove to Kingston and bought both at Roy's Pet Shop. Unbeatable prices, anywhere, but a long drive if all you want is a stand. No money to be saved in your particular case here. Buying local would be a better idea. Ask Ivan for pricing, or visit one of the local stores. Bouboule's suggestion is sound, but I have found that sometimes when you go to suppliers who don't deal in the hobby, you don't always realize the savings you might expect, and have trouble getting exactly what you want. You will have to be the judge in this situation. Does the money you save (If any) warrant the extra work and planning?

For the wooden box surrounding the steel stand, I used oak. I love the look, texture and wood grain of oak, and always use it for construction purposes (I even built my kitchen from scratch using oak). Sand it well using a minimum of 60 grit and 120-150 grit sand paper. Choose a stain colour you like, and a varathane finish you like also. At least two coats of this. The semi gloss is my preference. It has a harder finish than satin, and doesn't over-shine like a gloss finish. You're welcome to come back and have another look at the stand construction if you'd like.

I hope this helps.

helps a great deal.
    but the oak surrounding your stand.... How did you build the rim around the bottom of the tank? Was it an extra add on you bought seperatly from the oak panel? (imitation is the best example of flattery!!!)
    I might not go yellowish though (I'm kinda color blind so your stand might not be yellow at all!!!)

The rim around the bottom, as well as the larger rim around the top is solid oak moulding. It's an extra cost, but well worth it if you want to dress up your stand and make it look like a real nice piece if furniture.

The stand is not yellow :eek2: but a honey oak finish:yum: Some people like darker wood, it's really up to the individual.

Conan ... go see the people at SIMPLY WOOD on Richmond Road near Churchill. They can make anything you want, do real nice work, and because you apply the finish yourself you can save a ton of money and have a VERY NICE stand.
    Rob

liv
    if you want a still want a steel stand, in gatineau, go to marc marine. they weld and repair just about anything. they usually do boat props.. but if you bring them a plan. with what you want.. they'll make it for you.. and they give sweet prices.
    then all you have to do is get a can of tremclad and paint.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Why not just buy the steel stands that the LFS or Ivan sell, that are specific to the 90g and you are sure it will support the tank , there not that expensive either.

the steel stand is a given but I was looking to add a nice wood finish around it to make it look like a "nice peace of furniture" as percula said it so well.
    I really appreciate your help guys. Actually, the tank will be a 110G I'm getting with the steel frame.
    I'll certainly add that moulding. I guess wood glue is the best?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast