Question Sprinkler System Valves

I showed the Ocean Motion's 8 way valve to my husband and he said that he could do the same thing with more flexability using a PLC and sprinkler system valves. We bought one valve to test. The parts that touch the water are all plastic except one stainless screw head and the pilot valve which we assume is stainless as well. Since my MAGS have stainless screws, I assume that this is OK.

Has anyone ever tried one of these valves in salt water? Does anyone have any idea how safe this would be?

Thanks for your comments

Vickie

If it's the real McCoy it will be OK. If it's only stainless steel coated you may have trouble in the long haul.
    Rob

couldy ou change the one screw for a plastic one?

Changing the screw is the easy one. We can't figure out how to coat/cover the SS pilot valve. It may be a matter of trying and tearing it apart on a regular basis to check for corrosion.

Thanks

Vickie

Post a close up pic of the pilot valve... maybe one of us could machine one out of nylon.

Or better yet maybe get a bunch of them machined in nylon....
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

I have seen many reefers use lawn sprinklers as DIY wavemakers...I have never heard a problem and if you keep them clean (or enought flow through them) they will run for a long time. There was a website about these but I have lost it.

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ReefVan, the problem with machining the pilot valve out of nylon/teflon, etc is that it needs an iron core for the solenoid coil to be able to activate it. It might be possible to machine a casing but there is also a metal spring that would need replacing. If no one has used one, we will try it and just check frequently for corrosion. A solenoid is only $20 to $30 so might be worth the effort.

Mouse, I agree the sprinklers appear to be made of plastic but we won't be using the sprinklers. We are using the solenoid that turns the sprinklers on and off to turn different outlets on and off. The end result will be something like what Ocean Motion makes but with more possibilities since timers/computers/plcs can control each solenoid for a different duration. The only limitation (that I know of) is you cannot have all the solenoids off while the pump is running. At least one solenoid must be on.

If this works, then we might take one of the sprinklers and try it on one of the outputs to see how it works.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Vickie

Just keep in mind, the pop-up typs sprinkler head has a spring in it that I would remove. This would leave the head fully extended. Or just get one of the heads that sit fluch to the fround. They all have adjustments that turn or rotate the head from 45 to 360 degrees.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

I've tried the shut-off solenoid activated valves from Reno for sprinkler systems... I guess the pump I used wasn't strong enough @ 1300 gph because I found the result a bit disappointing.

Which vavle model are you looking at... post a pic perhaps...
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ReefVan, we're looking at the Orbit (from Home Depot) with a 1 inch flow with the water flow control knob (Model 57103). (www.orbitonline.com) This will be run off my Iwaki MD55RLT that is on my closed loop now.

I would gladly post a picture, but my picture taking skills are not the best. I think I need a tripod.

Vickie