DIY Workhorse 7 Lighting

I have a workhorse 7 ballast that I wired up the way you described in the post earlier. I am running 2 X 36" VHO's on it. The ballast is quite hot! Almost too hot to touch. Is this normal from what you have found?
    I am wondering if my lead wires are too long. Currently I have the ballast about 10 feet away from the bulbs. Is this too far away and causing too much resistance in the ballast?
    Any hints would be great.
    Thanks
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Re: DIY Workhorse 7 Lighting

If you can shorten the lead wires, it would be better but 10 feet is not too long for the workhorse ballast.  These ballasts do get hot and that is normal.  Just place it in a spot where the heat won't hurt anything.  Good Luck

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

How hot is hot? It is hard to touch it for too long with a bare finger. Is that normal?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.

Do you have an aluminum heatsink for the ballast? The ice-caps come with one although they definately run cool. They only feel slightly warm to touch.
    True Perc

You can probably only hold a bare finger on one for about 3-5 seconds.  i don't use them but a friends is that hot also.  He has placed it on small metal legs (large bolts) and then set it in a red metal tool box with the lid removed.  I'm no expert on the workhorse ballasts as I don't have any.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Thanks, I   bought some metal housing beams last night and trimmed it to fit. Makes some difference. At least the ballast isn't directly against the wood stand anymore. BTW the ballast is amazing, for $50 you can't beat it. VHO's burn so bright my eyes hurt the first time I turned it on!
    ________

ijo

good to hear reeferboy... I'm picking up 6 of them tonight if anyone is interested.

IJO

For an electronic ballast it shouldn.t run that hot. JMHO. Whats up with that. ???

MINIATUS >

art
    can someone tell me where can I buy that workhorse 7.
    ottawa area
    Arton