plumbing a reef tank

I live in London Ontario and I want to plumb my saltwater reef tank where can I get the fitting to do this? Is it PVC that I would use? ???

Re: plumbing a reef tank

yes it would be best to use PVC or flex PVC [also known as SPA FLEX] to plumb your tank. Clear hose will get algea build up inside from light entering. It is best to find a strictly plumbing supply store instead of say,HOME DEPOT or RONA. The plumbing supply store will have all you elbows,bulkheads and PVC cement that you need for a better price. Do not buy any of these plumbing items from an Aquarium store as they are big$$$$$$$$$. Don;t forget to add UNIONS in the right spots so you can service pumps and such.

hi, assuming when you say you will be plumbing your tank i'm thinking you will have the glass
    drilled for at least the overflow (s) . Allot of guys just use pvc pipe to come up over the back of the tank to return the water from a sump. My suggestion is anywhere you can use flex hose which is used for spa's and pools do so. Its nice to work with eliminating rigid elbows and angled
    fittings leading to better water flow due to the less resistance from a to b. Not sure how big the
    tank is, but however many drains (overflows) you have try and use flex hose. Same for the water return line(s) where you could then transition from flex\spa hose to hard pvc to go over the top of the tank unless you plan on drilling additonal hole(s) for the return lines which in that
    case using spa hose direct to the bulkhead(s). A word of advise, dont ever try to connect any type of hose direct to a threaded fitting no matter how tight it may seem..It will leak as the water will follow the threads..I know from experience. Use hose barb connectors to join spa hose to pvc then add a hose clamp. If you are not planning on drilling the tank and are going with those hang on overflow boxes like the "tidepool" etc, use 2 of them whether you need that type of flow volume or not. The 2nd hang on overflow will be a backup if the other stops draining. chances of both units stopping at the same time is near impossible. It will ensure peace of mind and dry floors. hope that helps some!
    JeffD

RTJ made some good points especially the tip on adding "unions" on you hose runs. Just visualize where your piping should need to come appart if you have a pump failure to be able to remove the damaged pump, skimmer etc. Also its not a bad idea to also add a ball valve on the hose\pipe leaving the main water pump so if you for whatever reason need to reduce or adjust the flow comming from your main pump back to the tank you can. Never reduce the flow leading too your main pump as this will damage the pump..always restrict flow if required on the output of the water pump. If you plan on connecting a skimmer off of your main pump providing the main pump's capacity\flow rate will handle the addition of a skimmer it would be wise to add a 2nd ball valve or pvc gate valve before the connection to the skimmer. This will allow you to adjust the flow rate the skimmers inlet receives. Lastly, if again you are having the tank drilled be sure to figure out what size bulkhead you are going with and purchase them before you send the tank in to be drilled. This way you can send along the bulkhead with the tank to the glass shop when the tank is being drilled and the hole they make for you will for certain fit the bulkhead. It sucks having a not so standard size hole drilled, them afterwards having to scramble around trying to make-shift a contraption to fit the hole. good luck!

ijo

Great info Jeff...

Welcome to the forums crystalreef  

One advantage to using flexible hose, especially at the output of your return pump, is that noise and vibration can be greatly reduced.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.