INFO ON SUMPS APPRECIATED.

Next project. Sump/overflow.
    My 60 gal has a 30 gal under it. Head to the top of the main tank is 4 ft.  The 30 measures 48X12x12 high. That's the tank I was thinking of using for the sump. How do I do it and what do I put in it. What kind of seperations do i need, etc.  I also thought of splitting it in 2 and starting a refugium there.  Need info on that too. I've done quite a bit of reading but can't seem to get it into my head clearly.  Overflows, why not just a goose neck into the tank, gravity fed to the sump?
    All help much appreciated. :-/

Re: INFO ON SUMPS APPRECIATED.

Here's what I did Salty...and it works great.  you can use this for a sump and refugium later if you wish.

You need three dividers/baffles in the sump.  First one make a small compartment for the water to fill into.  Maybe 4 inches in width.  The first divider goes on the bottom of the sump, and rises about half way up the sump height.  Notch the top or drill holes along the top of this divider.  The water flows over the top or through holes clsoe to the top.  Thats the first divider.

The second diver should be at the other end of the sump.  Leave about 6 inches (or if using a submersible pump in the sump, enough space for the pump plus 4 inches to spare.  make an identical divider at teh first one.  Now this area between these two divers is where your mud and algae etc will be.  Sketch it as you read it might help.  I wish I had pics.

Now, take a send divider, and place it 2 inches past the last diver you placed in the tank.  This divider has to be raised about 2 inches, to allow water flow under it.

What you have created here, is a bubble stop.  At the end of the refugium, the water flows over one divder, and under the next.  The bubbles will raise in this 2 inch compartment, rising to the top, and bubble-free water will flow under to the last compartment. (where the return pump is.

If you need a sketch, send me your email and I'll whip one up for you.  Good Luck.  Later when I have time, I'll put a sketch on this board.  
    ;D
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

ijo

I received the jpg image of your sump design... I'll attach it to the board as soon as I get home tonight.

IJO

sounds easy enough, plexiglass right, and silicon for a sealer? now what goes into the first compartment? if you have rock and live sand in the display and refugium, do you need bio balls? what is that stuff anyway. Where does the heater / skimmer go in this setup. First compartment? If your using carbon from time to time, do you drop it in there as well? Thanks for the info so far, very clear and easy to understand. Much appreciated. Looking forward to seeing the pics.
    What about tube sizing, overflow, pump selection? I guess the return is sized for the output nozzle on the pump? would you size the overflow the same as the return or bigger? What a good water turn over rate in the main tank. I was thinking 6/hr or so, for me that would be say 400 gal/hr flow without checking the head pressure. Any guidance on this stuff? :

ijo

here is the pic:

In the display, just put in your sand (rock if wanted but not much) and then get macro algae like caulerpa etc.  you don't need bio balls, they'll just raise your nitrates in such a system.  You can put them in the small area where the bubble stop is.  Just throw in a 4-5 to help reduce bubbles from the water going over the top.

If you are adding your skimmer and heater, just make the compartment at the end, by the return side, big enough to keep these.  I would skim after the refugium so the nutrients go through the refugium for the algae to use.  The heater can go in either end.  Use a completely submersible heater if you can.  You'll need a small flourescent light above the refugium so the algae and bugs and stuff will prosper.  

Tubing, use the largest possible entering the refugium, and try to attain 800 -1000 GPH through the whole set up. (that's for a 90 gallon).  The overflow will only draw as much water as what's being pumped back by the return pump.  Only fill the refugium half way leaving room for waterflow incase the power goes out.  Otherwise you'll have a flood.  Anything else, just ask.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

great info . Thanks a heap!