Help designing a bubble trap

I have been having some micro bubble issues in my tank. The critters don't seem to mind it but I just don't care for the look of it.

I have a 50gal sump with a 2" bulk head reduced to 1.5" flex pvc that returns to the tank. The pump is a GenX mak4. The sump is not acrylic, it is a rubbermaid type container. I used to have a sponge and a large piece of live rock in front of the bulkhead but it seemed to reduce the flow rate too much.

I don't know how well glueing in dividers would work with the softer flexible sides of the sump and that is alot of water to remove all at once to but in new pieces.

I was thinking of using some series of pvc pipes attached to the bulk head but just can't get anything to work very well.

Does anyone have a design for a bubble trap that could be attached directly to a 2" bulkhead or any other ideas?

Thanks
    Andrew

ATC
    Andrew, we're having the same issues. Right now I have a small bathroom garbage can in the sump to act like sort of a crock...It works ok but takes up a lot of space. Barry has grand ideas for a bubble trap and all the pieces are on the floor just waiting to be assembled. I haven't exactly got my head wrapped around what he plans to do but if you're going down to Gail's Sunday I'm sure we could get something on paper for you.
    Aven

I have micro bubbles after feeding PE mysis and cyclopeeze- so I shut down the skimmer for a couple of hours when I feed these and then it is fine. I'm sure Barry will have a wonderfully engineered device to solve this problem though. I love having an engineer in the group.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

ATC
    If Andrew is having the same problem as us it's that the water from the overflows is actually foaming when it hits the sump. But you should see the freaking bubbles when the water level in the sump gets a little too low...instant jacuzzi for the fish
    Aven

I was having the same issue from my skimmer though. So I turned down the skimmer and add some filter media between the skimmer and the pump return. No more bubbles.

When you have a tank the bubbles come from the turbulence of the water from the tank coming in so fast. You need to rig up something in or before the sump to take the turbulence. The further away from the tank the sump is the bigger the problem. With my sump in the basement this was a real problem but when I put the "refugium" in place before the sump the problems went away. I wasn't able to grow anything in this refugium because of the turbulence but it does add to the overall water volume and take out the darned bubbles.
    Susan

It will be interesting to see what you guys have come up with for a bubble trap design. I have tried a couple of things with a little success. I have a bubble trap on the skimmer output that goes into the sump. The overflows from the tank (12 foot drop) both go into a home made filter where the water goes through a sponge and carbon before it goes into the sump. I can't really see many bubles in the sump, but there is alot of turbulance.

The thing that seemed to work best was one of those micron quick filters attached to the bulkhead. This got rid of the bubbles but almost stopped the water flow.

One other thing I noticed in my tank....I was worried about not getting enough surface airation. Thus I point a powerhead more towards the surface and this resulted in alot of little bubles.

It took quite some time of adjusting so that I still get a little surface ripple with no bubbles.