Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stockman Standpipe Issue

Hi everyone,

I have a Stockman standpipe that I DIY'd in my 90g built-in overflow box. It's 1.5" in diameter with a square hole as per the latest instructions of Mr. Stockman's website.

I'm somewhat having problems to balance or tune it. I have a Sequence pump in the basemement pumpuing the water back up to the tank.

With the air vent at the top opened, I don't get enough debit going down and thus I have to throttle back my return way too low (about 25% flow). If I close the air vent, the overflow sucks the water super fast, runs itself dry and gets refilled then the tank almost overflows and the cycle starts all over again.

Also with the air vent opened, I get an awful gugrling noise..

Is it my opening that is too small? (it's about 1.2" by 1.5")

Also what is it that people do to prevent their tanks to overflow if that standpipe decides to fail? I'm starting to worry about that too... :-S

Thanks
    Eric

What's the pump size? How much head do you have? How big is the vent hole in the Stockman?

As for overflow.... use an appropriately modified overflow switch inside the main tank... to prevent just that.

We'll be better able to help you with the above info answered.... I guess that means you're working on that "90g Reef in progress"... :
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

Cool

silly question but how deep or were is the other end of your pipe? sometimes to submerged creates to much back pressure but like VAN said its hard to tell with just a little info.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Check the air breather..

Start with a small hole and work your way up to a larger hole untl your problem stops.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Van,

Thanks for the info!

What kind of overflow switch? Do any of you guys got any plans for that?

Ok as for more details:

Tank: Standard 90g (~24" high) with a corner overflow with eggcrate at the top.

Pump: Sequence 1000 3200SEQ20 with about 12' of static head (Specs give 2100GPH @ 12')

Standpipe:
    I made 1 1.5" x23" long Stockman standpipe. The hole is 18.5" from the bottom and is 1.5" high.

Thanks for the help!
    Eric

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Well, first off, you'd need atleast a 2" hole to accomodate 2100gph.

Check out RC's Overflow Drain size calculator here:
    http://www.reefcentral.com/calc/drain.php

It specifies that for 2100gph you'd need atleast 1.89". Closest size is 2".

As for protection, a lot of people have a second overflow placed a little higher than the first in case the first one get's clogged.

DYI, a 1.5" Drain will handle up to 1300gph.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tang_man,

I have a 2" hole however with the bulkhead and all I have a 1.5" threaded hole... Should I have made the standpipe 2" with a reducer at the bottom??? It seemed somewhat illogical to me to reduce to 1.5" and also my hose to go in the basement is Flex PVC 1.5" so was I right?

Ok as for the second overflow, I don't want to drill my tank (it's already drilled-factory), any options that don't require drilling?

Thanks
    Eric

In drilled and taped the cap of my dursos and added one of those little 1/4" valves with the speed fitting from Home Depot. The same valves you use for RO/DI control. This gave me some nice ajustability.

I am using 2 - 1.5" drains to support about 2000 GPH. I am running the 1/4" valves wide open and the drains are silent.

2100 GPH through a single 1.5" drain is really pushing it.

I wanted to clarify I was not trying to push 2100gph through the 1.5" drain it's just the pump rating at my static head height...

I wanted the extra capacity to eventually maybe run a skimmer or anything else off of the same pump.

I have a ball valve to scale it down on the return side... It's just that I can't stabilize the damn thing to make it quiet and consistant!

Some other thoughts . . . Could you redirect some of that pump output to a skimmer or fuge? The other choice would be do use the big pump for a closed loop and then get a smaller return pump.

It is possible to plumb the intake of a closed loop over the side of the tank without drilling. It isn't elegant, and you have to prime it when you first start it, but it does work.

I am running 3,000 GPH in my 90 (1000 closed loop and 2000 return). That isn't too much flow. A 1000 gph return pump and a 2100 gph closed loop would be excellent! (better than what I have at least)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast