Botched My Own Father's Day Present!

Got this on the weekend - 72x18x21" outside dimensions. Stand built by me, especially the front-right corner, which has a nasty dip. The whole tank and stand slants slightly R-to-L due to the basement floor, but at the corner in question, there seems to be a twist in the stand. (posted this also on Canreef, needing some additional input, please and thanks!)

I like 2x4's... With shims, the RH side bottome brace is level, but the top brace is still skewed, sipping forward. Can I use a triangular piece under the foam on the FR corner to compensate?

This pic doesn't really show it, but there's 3 shims under the right corner. There seems to be a slight undulatioon in the concrete floor, and then a wonky corner in the stand to compound the problem...

Any suggestions at this point? I seem to have DIY'd myself into a corner... It's now full of FW, and looks much the same.
    - Alan

It's hard to tell if the stand is twisted or just problems with the floor. There is a liquid compound that you can use to level poured concrete floors.

If the stand is twisted, I would take the stand apart and replace the twisted 2 x 4. If the stand isn't level without the tank on it, it can cause problems later.

I would also remove the foam. IMO it is not needed and has been known to cause tanks to crack due to uneven settling.

Vickie

is the stand going to be lateral braced?if not you are going to get a surprise.

If that tank and stand is siting on carpet (as it appears to be) I would only fill it 1/3 full and let it be for a few days. That way it will have time to settle into the carpet and under pad. To bottom out so to speak. Once it is done settling you can empty all but about 10% of the water and shim it as needed. As for the chipped corner on the plywood top ... just use a good quality OUTDOOR wood filler and fill it. Test the filler on a scrape of styro first to be sure it will not dissolve it before preceding. X-link has already pointed out the lack of lateral support but that issue will correct itself when the back & sides are added. if there will be not back or sides you would be wise to add diagonal brace across the back
    Rob

Thanks for the replies, all. Sitting with FW for 2 days now - looking much the same... but it's full, so I'm letting some out right now.

Bracing - gotcha. Going to use the leftover plywood across the back - thanks for reminding me.

As for styrofoam underneath - I got the impression that this debate had been settled. Not so?? With a stand like this, there's going to be imperfections - isn't it going to absorb these? (It is cut to the same dimensions as the tank base frame.)
    - Alan

That's the idea for putting styro under tanks but my experience is .. that if the tank has a raised bottom pane as is the case with most of the one piece plastic frames the bottom edge that is created by that design just cuts into the styro and the tank may settle unevenly. Styro can take a lot of pressure .. but only when it is spread over its surface evenly as is the case with FLAT bottomed tanks.
    Rob

Also ... put your level inside the tank on the bottom pane . The top frame may not be in full contact with the top edge of the glass. The top frames are filled with silicone sealer and then forced down on to the glass. I have seem them be as much as 1/4 inch out across 4 feet.
    Rob

That makes sense about the flat-bottom tanks and styrofoam. Is the solution to do away with the styro altogether, and let the bottom tank frame do the work? I suppose my plywood top will need more attention, then...
    - Alan

Update: had a very handy reefer friend come by, and things are looking up. We moved the stand off of a nasty hump in the basement floor, so now it's "3-sided" instead of up against the wall. Shimmed one corner, and it's near-perfect.

Stand upgrades continuing with sheathing - styrofoam is staying. Much anxiety abating...:

Thanks again for the input, folks! We'll let you know how it goes from here. Been reading the Bornemann "tank maturing" thread on RC... good stuff.
    - Alan