Alage cleaning magnets

Hi all, just thought I'd post and let you know about the great DIY rare earth magnet cleaners I made. I've tried the Tunze magnets but they barely even held through my 5/8 " glass. I cut apart my old mag float and sanded the surfaces smooth again. Then I ordered four 1.25 x 0.5 " neodymium rare earth magnets from Forcefield in the states at http://www.wondermagnets. The total cost was $49.00 american. I inserted these into the empty mag float shells, used epoxy to glue them closed, added a new velcro cleaning part and presto...amazing. These things are so strong it takes an effort to move them around the aquarium. The great thing is they remove all algae, even the stubborn stuff growing in the scratches, as well as all coralline algae! In 5 minutes my take looked as clean as though it was new. Thet are completely watertight so they just stay in the tank. They do not, however, float as the new magnets are considerably heavier than the old ones in the mag float. However, I don't think they will ever come apart during use so the floating part is not important. Anyone, for $50.00 american plus $12.00 canadian for epoxy and velcro I couldn't be happier. If you have thicker glass, just order the larger magnets. Each of the ones I have holds close to 100lbs - so 400 lbs of force is plenty for 5/8" glass. So instead of paying $200.00 or more for the equivalent, just try it yourself.
    Ian

ijo
    Great DIY Detritus.. do you have any pics?

Sorry, no digital. However, a p[icture would show only the mag floats. No difference in the outer parts. The strength though is incredible. The magnets hold very well even through 1 " wood.

ijo
    exactly what magnets did you order from the site you posted? I seen a few heavy duty magnets there.

IJO

Man that goes to bed with itchy butt, wakes up with stinky finger!
    -Confusious

Ian,
    Great idea!!!
    Now..., I won't be able to sleep because I'll be worried that you'll smash your tank the next time you attach that cleaner on the glass!!! :

IJO, I ordered four of the #0046 1.25 x 0.5 " disk magnets.

Good point Toutouche. My tank is built into the wall in the basement, so I added a strong fishing line attatched to a plastic ring on the inner cleaning assembly. I hang the magnet from a hook mounted above the tank so that the inner part lays flush against the front glass. Then I go around to the other room and attatch the outside assembly. Then back in the aquarium room to unhook the plastic ring from the support.

I'd better not crack the glass, I can just imagine the look on my wife's face when I tell her my latest DIY project destroyed the tank...come to think of it she might be pleased ha, ha.

Ian

Aqua, the Lee valley ones would work but they don't carry larger stronger magnets. When I took the mag float apart it already contained four 1" x 1/8" disk neodymium magnets. So I think if you want the extra strength you should get the larger magnets. If you are able to encase the magnets in a ferrous cup that fits tigthly around the bottom and sides of the disc magnet it would work even better - I couldn't find anything handy for that though. Something about concentrating the magnetic flux in the direction you want.

Ian