Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting a glass aquarium built

I'm in the process of getting a glass aquarium built. The company that is doing it just works with glass and doesn't have much experience with aquariums. So whatever I get them to build there is no guarantee. Basically I just want to get some input on what I have planned.

I'm thinking about going with 48"x 24" x 24" for 120 gallons total. I believe the glass thickness should be 3/8 - 10mm. Also they're going to use a GE silicone that states for aquarium use right on the tube. Is there anything else needed for support in a tank this size? or would just the silicone suffice?

tank

the silicone is fine. I found better stuff at HOME HARDWARE that said for AQUARIUM use and it rocked. I'd use 12mm glass.
    if they never built a tank I would do it your self as there is somethinking to it and I can help. what are you useing for bracing?? silicone is strong but ya need bracing.

Whats the brand of silicone your getting from Home Hardware?. Not sure about bracing, can get a aluminum trim to go around the top and bottom of the tank. Would I need something across the middle of the tank? About the glass thickness, they have 10mm in stock, 12mm has to be ordered , takes a month to come in

Talking

a month is only 4 weeks[patience] no to the steel trim. use either cross bracing or euro bracing and use glass. Its not to hard.silicone was a HOME HARWARE product [there own]
    I like euro [3'' trim all around the inside at the same thickness of your glass] and cross brace. I'm paranoid LOL

Would be possible to use Glass as a cross brace correct?. Have any information on how to do the euro method of bracing, i'm assuming the 3" would be on the tob and bottom of the tank.

why not get it from a company that has experience building aquariums (Oceanic or the like)? this way you will be able to sleep better at night and there will be less of a chance of ending up with 120 gallons of water flowing through your house.
    Albert
    My Photos

Well after I found out it would cost me around $1500 to get an aquarium I wanted from one of those companies. I quickly decided to go another route. I know a couple people with DIY tanks, going strong. I'd build it myself if I had the tools, so im getting a glass company to cut the glass and assemble it for me.

Johnny,

How visible is the euro-bracing? Do you have any info on how its done?

TIA

J_T
    Why glass? You could do the same thing in acrylic, and it is easy to assemble. Get some weldon, and away you go.
    ____
    J_T
    I do Acrylic work

Quite a bit more $$ to buy acrylic locally then glass. I also don't like that acrylic scratches easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast