Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aquamarine Epoxy / Loctite

Is this safe to use the Loctite Aquamarine Epoxy in the aquarium? to glue in some baffles in my sump and also to glue LR to help keep it stable?
    If not, what is suggested?
    Albert
    My Photos

Just use silicone for the baffels.. Easier to remove if need be!

As for the live rock, never used it..

I use the loctite gel it works great for frags.I dont know how it would hold your acrylic.
    I really do not know about that marine epoxy though,are you trying to glue the baffle in while water is in it?
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

i just emptied the sump and used the silicone. Just want to make sure i used it right (my first time). I cut the acrylic to the size i want, then dried the sump well with a paper towel. I applied silicone to the edges of the acrylic and then put it where i wanted it in the sump. I assume i need to now wait 48 hours for it to dry. Does it sound like i did it right? should it hold up when i refill it?

(So that aquamarine epoxy should be good for frags and for rock?)
    Albert
    My Photos

ok, here is what i did:
    I added that baffle on the right (before the bulkhead) so that i can place sand in that compartment, and i wont have to worry about debris getting sucked in and damaging my pump as it will have to float over the baffle.
    Albert
    My Photos

and i added that baffle by the drain so that the water level will rise above the drain and make it quieter. it should also keep that strong current from going crazy all over my sump, and it should allow all the water to flow over the baffle and release the air bubbles.
    Albert
    My Photos

the white stuff on the walls is just from the sand powder that i didnt clean off yet
    Albert
    My Photos

Alrha,
    There are different types of the putty and some of them actually have metal fillers in them. Read the package carefully for any signs of these additives. The safe one that I use is also from Loctite and it is a dark blue on the outside with a white center. Putty will hold your LR in place and quickly get totally covered in coralline to hide it. However, putty is not good for instances where weight or pressure will be placed on it while it is drying. For this, you need to either use crazy glue or silicone ( and the silicone also has to dry firstoff). For a baffle, use silicone if the sump is glass, and use Weldon ( or Methylene Chloride) if the sump is acrylic. Silicone will stick to acrylic but not with a 100% weld. If only silicone is used on acrylic and there is pressure being applied to the baffle as in your case, there is a good chance that it will eventually come loose. Also, make sure you used acrylic that is thick enough ( if you used acrylic for the baffles that is) to not bend over time from the water pushing on it.

the acrylic i used was 1/4" thick.
    I used silicone already for the one you see above (the silicone was intended for fish tanks, so i assume it is safe).
    The only baffle that would have some pressure is that first one right after the drain (see picture above) - the others are either suspended or totaly submerged, so the pressure should be pretty much equal on both sides. i was lazy to empty the sump again to use silicone and since the pressure was not high, i tried the underwater glue (zap) from my LFS. it worked and seems to be holding thus far. i'll post pics tomorrow if i get a chance.
    Albert
    My Photos

here is the drain side (i put those baffles in)
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast