Front Mounted spray bar

I'm about to set up a 125g reef tank and was thinking about a front mounted spray bar setup, but since this is my first sw tank i thought id throw the idea by you guys first

The tank is an in-wall setup, the "window" cut out of the wall is about a half inch lower then the plastic trim on the tank, giving me about a 3 inch space between the top of the tank and the viewable area.

What i want to do is have my return line come up from behind the tank, over across the top of the tank next to one of the braces and down into a spray bar in the front of the tank, keeping it out of view.

I have a Lifereef overflow, the double 1400gph model and a mag 24 pump. I figured with such a strong pump i could afford to go across the tank without losing too much pressure. Either using 1" or 1.25" pvc (or something else if recomended)

Whats everyones thoughts on the idea? Thanks for the help

sorry about the long post! :

-Dave

I'd say go around the side of the tank and not over the top- it'll cast a shadow in the middle of the tank. Also what about rotating return devices instead of a spraybar- unless cost is an issue, the spraybar is a much cheaper option, but it doesn't mix up the flow at all.
    I'd also go up from the pump with 1.5 inch pipe, just to maximize flow out of that mag 24- they don't like back pressure very much so I'd open it up. Once at the top of the tank- if you go with two return devices, split it into two 1 inch lines, if you go spraybar, reduce it to 1 inch to come across the tank as well.
    It is a good idea in general, imo, flow from the front of the tank is an often overlooked circulation option.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Ya cost is a bit of an issue, but what kind of rotating return device are you talking about?

I have some powerheads im gonna hide in the rock work for extra flow as needed.

As for the shadow part i guess i didnt explain it well enough, it is going to go on top of one of the existing braces in the tank, then down into the tank to make sure it wont cast any more of a shadow then the brade already does.

Thanks for the suggestions on pipe sizes

-Dave

I Agree with with reefmutt you should come up the side. It will be the shortest route to the top front edge. If you have that supply line right where the wall is it will not be noticed. My new tank will have spray bars across the front bottom pointing at about 30 degrees upward. They will be buried in the sand.
    Rob
    Rob

Here is a quick mock up of what i was thinking about, though i might just go to the side if you guys think that is a better idea

The top one is a top-down view, the 2nd is a view from the back

The two black bars are the braces i was talkin about

I would move the sump system to the left side with a longer drain line then run that spray bar supply line STRAIGHT up the front left hand side corner.
    Rob

I should mention that my sump is behind the tank, not under it. Thats where the whole idea of having it go up the middle of the tank came from, so its just straight up and straight over. Whereas if i went to the side it would be up and over, then over into the tank. I dunno if that changes anything or not. Thanks for the imput!

-Dave

If your planed route is the shortest and has the least number of 90 degree corners your in business
    Rob

Ya, thats what i was aiming for. Thanks for your help