Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canopy Construction/Wiring Questions

I'm going to attempt to build my canopy tomorrow morning and was hoping someone can answer the following questions before the big event...

1 - I purchased the 46.5" bulbs, how fat appart should the end caps be ? how would i measure this distance ? pop a bulb into the endcaps, position the endcaps and mark the drilling holes ?

2 - I will be using a PC power supply to power the fans. Instead of attaching an AC powercord to my WH7 why not use the output for the monitor from the power supply to power the WH7 ?

3 - Should I buy a certain type or wiring or will any old type of wire do ?

4 - What do i need to do in terms of grounding ?

5 - Where do most people leave the ballast ? inside the canopy ?

6 - Any tips, suggestions, anything I should look out for ?

wish me luck... if I'm no longer on the msg board after tomorrow then I probably cut off my arms or electrocuted myself so just in case, its been nice knowing you all !

Nick.

Anybody ? please ? ....

This is what I did when I wired mine:
    1) Put the endcaps on your tubes and measure the holes where to drill. That is the easiest.
    2) ???? I am alittle confused. Monitor? I wired my WH7 to a grounded plug that I got from Home Depot. Around $7. It is AC current.
    3) From the WH7 to the outlet I would get a grounded plug from HD. They come in 6 foot lengths so you can cut it to your needs. For the wiring that you are going to need to wire your tubes in series/parrallel whichever you choose I used 18 gauge wire from HD. They sell one that comes in a brown sheath with 2 wires. I think it is called thermoguard wire.
    4) Grounding you WH7 to a metal piece (reflector) is easiest. There is a small threaded spot on the back of the WH7 to do this.
    5) I have all my ballasts in the cabinet under my tank. Keeps them away from the tank as they get quite hot. There is no real benifit in having the ballast that close. Theory would suggest that the shorter the lead wires from the WH7 the less resistance and higher effeciency. But 6 feet of wire compared to 2 feet is nothing.
    6) I would wire the bulbs in series and use all 4 red wires. It seems to overdrive the bulbs a ittle but well worth the added brightness. Also wire a fan into WH7 wiring but with a toggle switch so in the summer the fans go on when the lights are on but in the winter you can turn the fan off. Will help against overheating on days like today.

Hope that helps!
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Thanks Referboy ! very much appreciate it.

Reeferboy.

Question: You stated that using all 4 wires overdrives the VHO bulbs. The ballast max. output is only 220 watts. And each 48" and/or 46.5" VHO bulb is rated at 110 watts each. How can the ballast overdrive these bulbs ????. Am i missing something. Sorry for the question but I have read this somewhere else also, and I can't see how it is possible
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

ijo
    I set my WH7 with only 3 of the 4 red wires and the output is awesome. Same as the main display that uses a VHO setup from HelloLights. I havent tried 4 wires but do plan on seeing what the difference is.

Maybe the other ballasts (ice cap... hellolights) don't give off the full 110 watts to power the bulb... 3 wires seems to give off the same light with the wh7... I would think 4 of them make them even brighter making us think their overdriven when actually they are just maximizing the bulbs power. Just a thought.

IJO

IJO

With only three red wires connected do the bulbs still get really hot or can you touch them ???. I know with my ICECAP I can easily touch the bulbs, my buddies WH7 with all four red wires connected the bulbs are too hot to touch
    Daniel
    M.A.S.K.
    Marine Aquarium Society of Kitchener
    www.maskcanada.org

ijo
    The ballast from hellolights also run the blub hot... I have read somewhere of icecap under powering the bulbs.. maybe this is what makes them last a little longer... just a thought.. I don't know forsure.

IJO

Hi All,

I just realized that the bottom of the back of my canopy is open and I am wondering if I should worry about fish jumping out of the tank and what to do about it. I want to leave it open for hang on hardare such as overflow,skimmer,etc...

ijo
    a lot of canopies have the back open... this helps air it out so your tank doesn't heat up to much. Mine is also open and I have't had any problems as yet (knock on wood). I have had a few different types of fish known to jump in my main tank but none actually did it... I guess they liked what they saw..

Hope this helps... again.. I wouldn't worry about it much... heat is a bigger issue than fish jumping out IMO.

IJO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast