Thread: closed sump

closed sump

i have a 30g sump and would like to close the top to minimise evaporation. Is this a good idea? I wanted to use plexiglass or some plastic to cover it. My only prob is that my skimmer sticks out aswell as my return pump tubing and my overflow drain. I thought of cutting this out in 3 sections to fit like a puzzle. I would also like to install some server fans under my tank; sump area. What type of fans do you guys use?

evaporation help to cool your water (and i am assuming it a little warm if ur looking to add fans).
    evaporation also allows you to top-off with Kalwasser more.
    Albert
    My Photos

how does evaporation cool the water if there is less water volume in the sump then the water will be hotter. The fans are to let out the humidity faster from the sump area. Some how my living room is more humid than the others even with the central ac on. I havent started to use kalkwasser yet and dont really know what it does. is this some kind of calcium additive.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Evaporation removes heat from the sump. Heat produces hot molecules. They are the ones which evaporate leaving the slower ones behind and cooling the liquid. Sweating is the same thing in humans.

Kalwasser is a calcium additive which also adds alkalinity in a balanced fashion. It has to be added slowly (drop by drop). Most people who use it add it through a drip system to their sump. During this process, you also are adding RO/DI water. This replenishes evaporated water. If your evaporation rate is too low, you won't be able to add enough kalk to keep up with calcium demands. All of which assumes that you have enough calcium use in the tank to pose a problem.
    Nick

Best not to cover up sump besides the heat build up the evaporation still takes place and you wind up with salt deposit in large clumps. I know this with been there done that. If you let the water evaporate normally then you will notice less salt build up. If possible instead of fans I put multiple walls in the sump so the surface is constanltly stirred and this give good cooling.
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

mike its not a good idea to couver everything up.call me