Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kalk question

Kalk question

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this board and have spent the better part of the last two months catching up. I'm a big DIY'er. Over the last two years I've been using hydrated lime that I bought at the local building supply here in Kingston, a product by Sylvite (High Calcium Hydrated Lime). Before I began using it I got the tech specs, same as marine grade kalk. It's $12 for a 30 kg bag! I want to know what you all think of this 'kalk'. My tank and critters are doing soo well and my parameters are great. I'm all set to go coral, but this is nagging at me. Anyone else do this?

Lawrence (SloHand)

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hi Slohand, welcome to the board!

I've heard of others using what you're talking about, however I'm not sure if it's the same product... Can anyone comment on this? If I remember correctly it was someone in Ottawa that had located such a product...?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Don't know why I missed it first time around but I did find the thread posted by tiffiny on 'builders lime'. The tech specs she quotes are the same that I got for the Sylvite stuff.

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...highlight=lime

Hmmm.... interesting! I don't know either but I sure as hell am gonna look into it and try to find out!
    Health Before All :wink5:

Here are the details in the MSDS they sent me via fax

- chemical name: Calcium hydroxide
    - product name: Hi Calcium Hydrated Lime
    - product code: 410

Properties:
    Free Calcium oxide (CaO) 0.16%
    Calcium Hydroxide (Ca(OH)2) 94.8%
    Magnesium oxide (MgO) 1.01%
    Silica (SiO2) 0.5%
    Ferric oxide (Fe2O3) 0.15%
    Alumina (Al2O3) 0.08%
    Free Moisture (H2O) 0.64%
    Carbon Dioxide (CO2 0.6%

Passes through 100 mesh 99.91%

Specific Gravity 2.25
    Basicity Factor 0.72
    Solubility in H2O 1.7

These numbers are slightly different-well the alumina is anyways. Tiff's post showed aluminum oxide at .2-.5 which is a lot higher that .08 and Imo way more dangerous for leather corals. However there certainly seem to be a LOT of people out there using this stuff... Doesn't make it a good idea however...The silicate and iron are a concern too...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

As Reefmutt mentioned, while many people seem to be using this type of stuff, it doesn't necessarily make it a good choice. The contents doesn't seem to be exactly the best.
    All I can comment on from persoanl experience is that I tried to use some other brands than the stuff sold for the hobby and while the hobby stuff always completely dissolves over time in my Kalk reactor, theother stuff I had tried would leave a greyish blue residue at the bottom that would not dissolve and I would go through a lot of impellars at the same time. The aquarium stuff never causes problems for my impellars on the powerhead used for mixing it. I have long since returned to using the hobby brand stuff all the time.

Toutouche, your right ... the hobby stuff is still the best way to go but the cost difference was just HUGE. I don't use a reactor ... I mix and siphon off liquid only and I use the slug left behind in my garden and around my apple trees. If it doesn't desolve it gets tossed and I have beautiful apples!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I'm gonna add that I've had blueish-greyish residue at the bottom of my kalk reactor when using the Aquarium stuff...

I now have a 10kg container of labgrade pure calcium hydroxide that I will be using once my aquarium stuff runs out.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

For my education, do you still typically need to use Kalk if you have an argonite based dsb? Or do you just need to use less / less often?

I haven't bought a calcium test kit because I really don't have much that needs it, but I'll be picking up my HID lighting from Ivan hopefully Weds & I suspect I'll be bitten by the acro bug shortly after that.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast