Thread: Diy Vho

Diy Vho

HI there,

IJO, you mentioned a DIY VHO using WH7's in the post:

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...hlight=DIY+VHO

Did you end up posting pics and such on this? I'm debating over VHO and PC's for a 65g 48x18x18

Thanks!

Troy
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

ijo

For DIY VHO is it possible to upgrade only the ballast and to continue using the old tubes.
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

Do you mean: use the regular fluoescent tubes but drive them from a WH7?

That does work but the tubes are over-dirven leading to reduced life and a higher operating temperatuire. I think that the light output will also be less good than VHO tubes - partly due to lower intensity but also due to the color spectrium which tends to be too yellow from most non-VHO tubes.
    Nick

Thanks IJO, I appreciate the input. Do have pics of your hood you setup the vho's in?

Thanks again!
    "I'm Mad!...I'm mad 'cause I cant see my forehead!" ~ Patrick Starfish, Bikini Bottom, Ocean

ijo
    Sorry reefmac... I currently am not using the WH7 ballast to power any VHO but do plan on building a T5 setup with it very soon!

IJO

Hi,

this is really an interresting idea to build a DIY VHO setup. I was already thinking of adding VHO to my setup. What is approximatly the cost for all the wiring, end caps and ballast for the projetct ?! Thank you for all theses good ideas !!!