liv

LF tank magic numbers...

Hi,

what would be the ratios I would have to respect in order to get a stable but tall tank ?

I'm thinking of making a narrow divider type FOLR, and wondering how stable and how safe it is..
    thinking of either 8" or 10" or 12" wide
    by either 36" or 40" or 44" high and ~50"long.

if its too narrow, what are my options? braces along the sides ?

just dreaming here... but would be intesting to know if I do go ahead and do it.
    How would you do it ?

any comments appreciated as usual !

glass would have to be thick, because the pressure on glass that high would be alot. what woudl you want to keep in it?not alot of fish would be ok with a 8" deep tank, not alot of room to turn unlesss you went with a bunch of chromis or schooling fish.

just my opinion
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

At that height you will need at least 5/8" maybe thicker. A bigger issue is "will the sealant hold". Once a glass shop tells you how thick the glass must be ( I know its going to be 5/8" or thicker) you will want to design the stand in a fashion that the bottom inch of the tank is held in place to prevent horizontal movement. Once you get past 5/8" thick you must consider the visual effect the glass will have on the tanks appearance. It's going ot be very green looking glass.
    Rob

liv
    why wouldn't the sealant hold ? i'm sure i'm not the first wanting a taller tank.
    for the visual effect of the glass, I would definitly go starphire after seeing the difference on johnny's tank.

after looking at the spot a little more today, it would possibly be 12" wide, 36" tall & 50" long.

thanks for the advice & comments guys ! Keep em coming! .... God I love to dream

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

because the pressure will be downward and OUTWARD. The highest pressure point will be RIGHT AT THE SEAM between the walls and the bottom. A tank of this shape will not have one piece molded trim ether
    Rob