Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar

Water Change idea...

Will this work guys?

Based on a gravity siphon... Tell me if I didn't think of something here...

I basically wanna simplify my waterchanges. Seeing how all my equipment (skimmer, nielsen reactor, topoff unit) is located in my "fish room" behind the tank, I can implement this idea.

Please give me your thoughts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Water Change idea...-water-changer-plumbing-small-.gif  

Not in the diagram...

There is already another overflow going directly to the sump through a Durso standpipe.

looks very cool but just one question? so when your done your water change and you open ballvalve A and B, you will be relying on the water to still flow thru that waterchange chamber and into your sump no? This scares me a bit because you open yourself to a few more flood possibility's and limitations. I'll try to explain the best I can.
    you will have a water level in that chamber and a syphon from the pipe in the overflow, I know you will drill a hole to break syphon but some water will drain including some water from that waterchange chamber.add those 2 up and with the poweroutage you will have extra water in your sump plus what drains from the main tank. This will not allow you to run much water thru your sump for normal opporations which inturn is also not good. with a small sump like a 20g you want as much water as possible to help get rid of bubbles and so that your pump will not have a chance to run dry. Even if you forget 1 day of topoff water you could have a problem with a low sump.Plus you are adding more pipes and taking up uneccesary space. If you already have your sump on the go then I would keep your desing but just close A and B off when done your water change. This is what I will do for my new tank, I will have the sump drilled with a bulkhead and valve near the bottom, when I want to change water I just turn off the main pump, wait till the sump is full,open the valve and let a premeasured amount out, close valve and fill back to original level. These can be all marked with tape on the outside of the sump. Just have your rubbermaid with the pump and new water flow right back into the sump. very simple and very easy. I do something similar right now but not as good as this. I have a MAXI in the sump and 1 in a pail,both with hoses on them, I plug the sump one in and drain 15g, I then plug the pail one in and add 15g. works like a charm.

Hmm..

Didn't think of the power outage aspect...
    Gonna have to re-think this a bit.

I can't drain my sump, cause I have a cryptic zone setup in my sump... (bunch of liverock, no light)...
    If I were to drain the sump, I'd lose all that life.

I currently have to do water changes from the main tank, I don't like this setup as I need to lug a big rubbermain trashcan on a cart to the tank, and worse yet, I need to drain water out of the main tank.

Ideally, the solution would be to have a bigger sump located in my "fishroom", and forego the small 20 gallon sump. Although I don't have room for a larger sump on the floor in that room...

Must think....

Yo Vince,

Looks good, I know exactly what you are trying to pull off - good idea.

I'm not sure the "power-outage" is a problem if you are pulling out of your overflow, you could build a small overflow in your overflow.. Actually, you could tap off the plumbing coming from the Durso to feed that box.

I would figure something out, as it adds a bit more water to the volume if you leave it plummed in all the time. You could simplify things by simply mixing salt right in that small res instead of yet another bucket.

Hey - Is your neilson reactor DIY or purchased?
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

I've been looking at my design, and by my calculations (i'm no mathematician.... ) it should work as long as I have some 1/8" siphon break holes...

I'll set it up, simulate a power outage, and see where I stand.

Fishysan, Yes, it's pulling outta my overflow, So I should be ok. I can't plumb it into my existing plumbing from the durso, cause my dang stand is too short, and doesn't give me enough height to have a gravity effect (don't have the space next to the aquarium, don't want it there either). So it must go the way I've drawn it out with a second overflow.

If it's plumbed in 100% of the time, I wouldn't be able to mix water directly in there though, hence the need for the other bucket.

All in all, it should work.. we'll see, it's my next week-end project

As for the Nielsen, It's not a DIY... I got it from Stephane (you must have heard of his skimmers/nielsens/ro units)...
    I was gonna DIY one, but in the end, it would have cost me almost the same amount as buying one that was professionally made.

sounds cool vince let us know how it goes! we will hook up
    one day soon I hope and I would love to see how you set up your 90g. does STEPHANE make calcium reactors?

Note sure...

I know he has one... whether he made it or bought it I do not know...

Well... I built it... Didn't take very long.
    However, I havn't installed it yet.

I was thinking of how it would be a PITA to start the siphon on that thing, and then thought that it *may* be possible to put a TEE below my durso, and have it go to the sump AND to the "waterchanger", with the overflow from the waterchanger going back into the sump...

Does anyone see any issues with this? I'm thinking that I may have to open up the return pump a bit more to compensate for water going into the waterchanger. This is not a bad thing, as I will have more flow within the tank!
    Am I thinking along the right lines here?

I'm going to see if I actually have the space height-wise to do this. The limiting factor will height. I will only have a couple of inches for the water to siphon from the TEE beneath the durso, to the waterchanger, and then to the sump...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Gee Vince,

You're gonna keep either Reno or Miller in business with that plumbing project. :

Keep us up to date, I may duplicate that project of yours when I setup my 220 later this year.

Van

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast