Thread: RO/DI Carbon

RO/DI Carbon

My Carbon filter of my RO/DI (The middle of the three containers - with the 'fish net' around it) gets orange and clogged up pretty fast - after say 200 gallons. is this normal?
    Albert
    My Photos

I have never seen this on my carbon block itself but my pre-filter gets yellowish after a few months. I know that there is an organic sediment that settles in the bottom of water mains over time..it is rusty orange. If it gets disturbed (-fire or anyone using a fire hydrant) it will stir up this sediment and will make it into your home water supply. Try pouring cold tap water into a white Tupperware type bowl...you will see if your water has an orange tint to it. If so, you can call your water company..( they might be able to flush out the sediment). It's not dangerous to drink...just funny tasting.

DAN
    Its high iron content in the water,or ther is a possibility that ther is cast fittings in the plumbing some where in the systems.
    Thus the orangey sediment which is rust !
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

Albert, your sediment cartridge should be getting yellow first. If it is staying white but the carbon block is yellowing, maybe the sediment cartridge isn't a fine enough prefilter- it should be a 1 micron sediment cartridge...but even if it is a 10 micron, it is strange that it isn't turning yellow first. Iron is deadly to a membrane so you really want to try to stop some of the sediment before it gets to your carbon block. If they are turning yellow, it is definetly time to change them.
    Every plumbing system is different in every house, with varying degrees of sediment and iron in the pipes. There isn't much you can do except stay on top of replacing the prefilters. You should find out why your carbon block is turning before the sediment block, though.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

the water from the tap is perfectly clear, this is not a one time thing, its always.
    the sediment filter is white, after 3 carbon filter changes, i change the sediment and DI once.
    I use this carbon block of 1/2 micron: http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1131
    and this sediemnt filter of 1 micron: http://marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1113
    Albert
    My Photos

and its not cheap either at $15 US. i'd rather the sediment filter pick it up at $5 US / filter.
    Doesnt the water first pass through the carbon before the membrane? if so, the iron wouldnt make it to the membrane, would it?
    Albert
    My Photos

Originally posted by ALRHA
    Doesnt the water first pass through the carbon before the membrane? if so, the iron wouldnt make it to the membrane, would it?
    Yes, but the water passes through the prefilter cartridge even BEFORE the carbon and THAT is the sediment ( iron) filter. The carbon block is just for things such as chlorine that is in the water. Chlorine is also deadly for your membrane. It should be your prefilter cartridge that turns yellow/orange/brownish first and ONLY that. Are you absolutely sure it's hooked up properly for where the water flows through and in what order?

so then i cant imagine why this is happening. i will go take a double check at the order of the water, but in the containers is first the sediment, then the carbon, then the DI and on top is the membrane.
    Albert
    My Photos

Yes but just make sure the tubing is running in the right oder
    Oh well,,, that's what you get from NYC water plumbing ( I here there's actually monsters that live in your city sewer system.

ok, i checked the tubing, it is perfect going to sediment then carbon then membrane then DI.
    i checked the sediment filter, the inside of it is deffinitely a dark orange about 1/4 of the way to the outside. but the outside is still white. i guess i should change it, but i would never have known had i not checked the inside of it.
    Albert
    My Photos