Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Near disaster with plumbing

Yesterday morning, my son and I were sitting in the living room, where the tank is located, when we both heard a loud snap. My first thought was glass cracked. I examined the tank and did not see any crack. Next thought was to keep my ears open for more more snaps. Could it be the dreaded mantis shrimp.

About 20 minutes later, a hissing sound started. I went to see what it was and found a cracked fitting on the return line with a nice jet stream of water spraying out. 80% of the water was spraying into the stand with the balance spraying over the stand on to the wall.

The back wall of my stand is covered, but there is a gap between the tank back and the stand back. (i.e. 18 " deep tank on 24"deep stand. The back six inches of the stand top is open and 20% of the water was spraying up through this 6 " gap.

Fortunately I was home at the time and was able to shut the pump down. I figure I lost about 5 gallons of water. On the updside, I now know two things:

1 My stand plan design worked (except I have to deal with the gap mentioned above). I includede a 3.5" vertical rise around the inside bottom of the stand to which I attached a heavy gauge plastic liner. I used the plastic commonly used on table clothes to protect from stains. My stand is 4' by 2' and on the inside bottom I placed a 5' by 3' sheet of this heavy plastic. I double face taped the plastic to the inside cabinet frame. All water that sprayed in the stand stayed in the stand. What little bit that crept between the plastic and the interior wall rolled out the side and was easyily wiped up.

2 Dont overtighten plumbing fittings. The cracked fitting was a female thread to male flexible pipe adapter. The split occured on the female side which was overtitened.

thanks for the info.
    Do or do not. There is no "try" - Jedi Master Yoda

It is a good thing you were home when that happened. Over tightening is an issue with plumbing set up and most likely don't know much about it. The general thinking is "if tight is good ... real tight must be better" Ideally if enough Teflon tape has been used across all the threads and not just at the leading edge it should be hand tightened plus 1/2 to 3/4 turns. if it still leaks after that add more wraps of Teflon as needed. I strongly recommend that the PINK tape be used on these fittings. Over tightening can also lead to thread stripping and leaks without breakage
    Rob

Amen to being home OSD. It happened about 1/2 hour before I left for work. I feel now that I know enough about plumbing to make me dangerous. I used a beige coloured teflon tape. I applied about 1 extra turn after I got it hand tight. I am keeping an eye on the fitting. I just may pick up the pink stuff tomorrow and redo the job. Security of mind and all.

On the upside, the lining I put in the bottom of the stand held all the water that escaped inside the stand. I have a 30 gallon sump, so not sure how much would have to drain before the water overflowed the stand. I am certainly not going to test it to find out. hehe
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

I have not seen the beige tape before and there is a chance that the fitting was defective. I have not in the pass heard of one fracturing but have seen them stripped and or with non fixable leaks. Good idea with lining the stand with the heavy vinyl.
    Rob

Do you think it is even better using Pipe Joint Compound with Teflon? It is like a paste, but when dried you can feel that look like it has some Teflon making the joint even tighter.

I used it for installing the RO/DI unit.

is it confirmed as salt water aquarium safe? If it is for use on potable water lines it is likely safe.
    Rob

OSD, I just grabbed the tape. It is Seal-Tape, listed for sealing joints of max 1.5 metal pipe. For handling gas line,propane lines etc. The colour is more yellow than beige, now that I see it. Do you know anything about this stuff?
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

Here is the link to its MSDS:
    http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/in...Joint_Cmpd.pdf

I really don't know whether it's salt water aquarium safe or not.

could be the same as the pink from a different manufacture? who makes it?
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast