Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY metal stand

Mel

DIY metal stand

Hi all.

I have been reading almost daily on these boards, taking in all the info, reading follow-ups on peoples tanks, cruising the classifieds, etc.. and I have to say, hats off to you all. This is one incredible site, right here in our back yard!

I finally have a reason to post. I recently purchased a complete system which has been running for about 3 years. I have to build a stand and canopy for this aquarium and my question is how do you feel about metal construction for the stand? I was considering a 36" high stand under this 24" deep 90 gallon tank much like the one in the link below.

http://www.homestead.com/geosreef/diystand.html

Is there any preferred canopy design to house the existing 4 36" VHO's with the real possibility of the addition of a couple of 175/250 MH's after?

Comments?

Thanks!

Hi Mel,

I did mine full wood for 2 x 110W Actinic and 2 x 250 MH.
    (48 inches long, 18 inches wide, 20 inches tall)

using 1x2 1x3 and 2x2 .... it is very light and tank can hold it
    easily...frame covert with 1/8 plywood (oak finish)

I also use Marine Varnish for it...protect from salt.

I'm affraid metal will be heavy on the tank...(just my opinion)

Mel
    Thanks for the reply. Sorry for confusing you! The stand for the tank I wanted to make from metal and was asking opinions on height.

The canopy might likely end up with 2 250W MH (after my wife permits the purchase ) and 2 of the 4 36" VHO's that are there now. I might change t0 48" VHO depending on the ballast capacity and setup. I'll figure that one out when I pick it up. It shouldn't be too heavy made from wood and a 1/4" oak skin, which is exactly what I plan to use to cover the metal stand/sump area.

There is nothing wrong with metal stands and if you can make it yourself that's great. I prefer wood because it is so easy to DIY with. i would suggest that you coat the metal parts with a good water resistant paint before you apply the wood skirts.
    Rob

here's 2 pictures....

need to stuck my '2 MH bulb reflector' soon as I receive it from Ivan <grin>

For height Mel I prefer when possible that the top edge of the tank be slightly lower then my armpit. That way I know I can at least clean the front pane without needing a step stool
    Rob

Mel
    Any thoughts on the height of the stand? Is there a normal height that is used when housing a sump/skimmer/gear as well as being comfortable to observe? This might sound like a silly question, but I believe the standard height is a bit to short.

-EDIT- sorry.. your answer came in as I typed this. I don't want to seem like a pest

the stand height will be somewhat controlled by the tanks height so if you have the tank already or one in mind do the math and you will be OK. My new tank is too big to follow my own rule about cleaning depth so I set mine up for easy viewing while seated on the sofa. middle of the tank is 37 inches off the floor.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Mel,
    Congrats on the 90 gallon tank!

Here's the canopy that I made for my 90 gallon before I upgraded to my current 180gallon.

90gal Canopy plans

You may wanna check out this thread for any questions related to it...

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ghlight=canopy

As for the stand.
    The current stand on my 180gallon is 2" Steel tube. I LOVE IT. There's no comparison to the amount of room you get underneath the tank compared to a wood stand. I bought mine though, I'm not a welder.
    I'm also in the process of making a skirt for the stand. It should be completed by next week.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast