Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow DIY Aquarium Stand/Cabinet

Got to work this weekend and assembled the bigger part of my aquarium stand which I am building for my 20L. I built it using 3/4" Oak plywood veneer.

Got most of the cabinet done, still have some holes left to cut in canopy for fans and returns and light wiring, some holes in cabinet rear wall for some piping to my sump/refuge and electrical which will be stored on the inside of cabinet. Also some final cosmetic touches like the base molding and oak veneer on edges and then the waterproof varnish.

Here are some pics for you all to see

Here is the base cabinet only...

Here is the base cabinet with canopy...

And finally the whole stand with canopy and door installed...

Nice work, that's some beautiful grain in the wood!
    Susan

Nice Looking workmanship. How high is that off the floor? Looks high
    rob

Looks good ... can't wait to see the final product!

Thanks guys! From the bottom of aquarium to the floor is 3 ft. high, I did not want it very low to the ground because I am tall and I dont want to have to crouch down everytime I want to look in my aquarium Plus with all that extra room, Ill be able to make my DIY skimmer that much taller

Flame*Angel, Thanks, at 71$CDN per 4'x8' sheet I made sure I had some nice looking wood! :

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Nice canopy indeed!
    Looks like 3/4"... kinda overkill, but it's always better to overbuild something.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Thanks tang_man, You know the funny thing is at first I worried that 3/4" would not be enough so I wanted to do the base using 1" thick, but after seeing the price of 1" thick pine and considering I wanted oak and getting some feedback that 3/4 would be more than enough...I went with 3/4". I enjoy overkill though hehe

Last night I was looking at some AGA sizes and noticed that with my 30x12 footprint, I could hold a 29L or 37G tank instead of the 20L so im actually happy now that I did build it using 3/4, now I can upgrade tank later on and keep same stand and have it take the weight!

AK

New hinges to make it look better

Well I went to Home Depot again tonight....again heh, in any case I found some new door hinges to actually make the cabinet look better. Last I had went I had not seen these hinges so I had settled for different hinges for really inexpensive until I found my desired hinges. It made the door sit on the exterior edge of cabinet which I didn't quite like but I could not find any other hinges which would make the setup as clean as possible (i.e: hiding the fact that its a door) that didn't require the special circular bit to install but im happy tonight!

If you look at the picture above with door installed its kind of hard to see but the door is on top of cabinet edge unlike the board under the door.

But what really hit the wallet tonight was a visit the local electronics shop, bought 2 x 120mm fans and grills for my canopy and pwr supply to go along and some relay's for my auto top off system which I still have to get working on.

Ill post pics as I go! Its late now and im about to go to bed even though im not very tired, would of loved to install them tonight but dont think appart. neighbours would enjoy drilling past 11PM hehe :guns:

AK

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    sniper,
    I'm using those hinges on my canopy as well.
    They are great.
    They are spring loaded, which helps keep the door tightly closed.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

tang_man, heh I thought it was you who had em, you have em on your canopy right ? I had saw em here before on a canopy pic after I had bought my other hinges and then thats what made me re-check home depot for em again cause I knew for sure they made those types, they were near the floor so I must of missed em before!

AK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast