Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

ultra cheap calcuim reactor.

well every once and a while you get a crazy idea that works !!!
    I use R/O water for a top up. I have a 5 gal pail hooked to a standard float valve to auto top up. as well as drip kalk I have now stopped the kalk due to a great brain storm.

The PH of the R/O was always low 7.1 and i wanted to get it up so for a while i just added kalk to it but then i remembered Aragonite start desolving at around 8.0 So i added 3" of aragonite and large crushed coral ( just mixed up together ) to the bottum of the pail after a day the water coming out of the float is 8.4 and dkh of 13 with a calcium rating of 410. Good bye kalk mixing
    :guns:

i have been doing this for 3 weeks now and it is working great no CO2 no extra pump. i cannot belive i had not thought of this before!

:biggrinbo

Do you need to put a power head and heater there?

No i have done nothing but add the media to the R/O bucket.

Sometimes the simplest methods work best. This is also a reason why I will PAY through the nose to use real coral sand as a substrate in my new tank. It helps keep PH up where it belongs and had a Hugh capacity to do so.
    Rob

Could that be one of the reasons my Ca is so high? I have a 2.5" bed of Aragonite sand in the tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

It is likely playing a roll. If you are using additives you may want to curtail their use and see what happens. In the old days .. God I hate that ... We would set up our tanks with 1 inch of dolomite covering a standard or reverse flow under gravel filter plate. Then we would cover that with 1 inch of crushed coral sand. While cleaning the sand it was recommended that it be handled roughly so as to create "fresh" surfaces on the sand particles. The idea behind this set up was that the coral sand and dolamite would keep PH stable. Back then CA was not an issue as no one was keeping live corals.
    Rob

It is amazing how such a simple thing can work so well.

Let me get this straight....Gafast, all you have in your RO pail is aragonite, crushed coral?? So when it gets low, you just add new unbuffered RO and you still maintain ph 8.4 dkh 13 and Ca 410?? And you don't have to add anything else?

Is this a fluke? or is there now no need for additives anymore (of course as long as there is nothing in the tank that is high demanding...).

very interesting......it just sounds too easy...
    thanks.
    thien

Originally posted by thien
    Let me get this straight....Gafast, all you have in your RO pail is aragonite, crushed coral?? So when it gets low, you just add new unbuffered RO and you still maintain ph 8.4 dkh 13 and Ca 410?? And you don't have to add anything else?

very interesting......it just sounds too easy...
    Interesting indeed, I also think it sounds too easy..

I was planning on setting up a auto top-off pail and a kalk drip myself rather than buying a kalk reactor at the moment...but hey if this works and will eliminate a kalk drip and I can have a single pail which tops off, thats just great!!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

i just add unbuffered RO when the pail gets low. The low PH of the RO disolves some of the Coral and aragonite untill the water reaches 8.4 where the ph is high enough that the aragonite and coral nolonger disolve.
    i have not tested to see if it adds other things such as mang. , strontium and such
    So far 3 weeks and i have not had a problem with ph or need for addives.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast