Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TopUp

Talking TopUp

I have been thinking about this for a while, and no its not my idea, I remember seeing it on internet a while ago. This is just a top up unit for my display tanks (2x67 us gallon tanks 1x40 us gallon refugium)

Topup

Can anyone see any improvment I could make to the unit, taking into account that I do not have much room in my refugium because of live rock and calerpa
    3 x 250 ltr, 4 x 190 ltr, 3 x 90 ltr
    http://www.clanchapman.info/david/fish/fish.htm

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Looks good to me... Just use the biggest reservoir you can find for the fresh water. It's convenient when you leave on vacation, etc...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ijo
    Vacation?... what has everyone been doing in regards to feeding and taking care of their tanks when on vacation?

IJO

If I go for a week, my top up can handle all the evaporation problems. I then have an automatic feeder that will drop flake food in the tank every second day. I also will place a few strips of Nori in the tank on clips for the tangs. It's a simple way but I can get away for about a week and half this way. When I go longer, I place a parge rubbermaid container on the landing of the stairs going downstairs. I have a IV drip system that will drip very slowly into the tank. Just have a friend stop by to make sure it's OK and you're set. Those automatic feeders are a life saver for me. I use them when I'm home to as you can load them up for weeks at a time.

:guns: :gun3: :cop:
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Mouse6196: Which feeder do you use?

I was looking into getting the eheim feeder... (IJO, can you check if you can get this?)

The eheim feeder is supposedly better because it has an integrated fan to keep moisture out of the feeder to prevent clogging.

I will be ordering a feeder soon, cause I'm going on a cruise in November for a week. I wanna make sure it's working for a while before I go...

However, in answer to Ijo's question regarding feeding, last year when I went on a cruise for a week, I had my next door neighbor babysit my tank for me. (She has 2 freshwater tanks)... Anyhow, she only had to feed the daily rations that I had prepared. Everything else is automated on my tank.

This time however, I just wanna get the feeder.

I recently installed an automatic topoff (ok, it's really a timed topoff) system and I think I can go a week without manual intervention.

A pump is run by a timer (which is accurate to the minute) and it puts in a pre-determined amount of freshwater for topoff.

Now I am interested in the auto feeder. Which brand do you use, mouse?
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

GoSUV, IMHO, you would have been better off using a float switch to turn on your topoff pump... Your evaporation rate can vary...

Yep I am thinking this is the way to go (Float switch), but the type you see in toilets, Looks like a bit of my live rock will end up back in my display tanks and not so much in my refugium
    3 x 250 ltr, 4 x 190 ltr, 3 x 90 ltr
    http://www.clanchapman.info/david/fish/fish.htm

Originally posted by tang_man_montreal
    GoSUV, IMHO, you would have been better off using a float switch to turn on your topoff pump... Your evaporation rate can vary...
    I know, that's what I plan to do when my 180 is setup in my to-be-built new house. Currently my tank has no sump, is small and wife doesn't allow too much equipment visible around the tank. I guess having a timed system is better than nothing when I am going away for a weekend or something.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Oh definately!!

I didn't know you had no sump... but since you're planning a floatswitch-type setup, I guess I'll let it slide...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast