Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Drilling Tanks: Back Glass vs Bottom Glass

I was just wondering why most stores drill their tanks on the bottom with stand pipes as opposed to the back of the tanks?

I personally like the look of the back glass drilled out as opposed to the stand pipe.

What are the pros & cons of either?

Cheers,
    Vic [Veng68]

They most likely do it for space reasons. Most people here use the back, alot of tanks are tempered on the bottom so if you try to drill it, it will shatter. Drilling the back of the tank you will also be using a stand pipe. There's not really many pro's and con's it denpends on your needs for the tank.
    Stephen

It is my opinion that drilling in the bottom is a mer hold over from when the idea of using an overflow setup was first derived. In my mind to have an overflow box in the tank and a overflow standpipe inside that box is redundant. It is an overflow within an overflow. I now drill my tanks in the back at about 3 to 5 inches from the top and use a "T" fitting on the outside of the tank at the glass to allow air to escape the system and an 90* elbow in the tank with the teeth cut right into its fitted stand pipe. Some will say that this dose not give enough overflow top edge length but I disagree. The only difference is that the teeth need to be cut deeper to increase the flow rate and the water in the tank will clime up the teeth further. This also means that the "reserve" capacity of the sump must also be increased accordingly. This approach saves valuable tank real estate, is less costly, less unsightly and is easy to do with so many tanks now coming with tempered glass bottoms.
    Rob

That's what I want to end up with....holes being drilled at the back. Good description of how it works, I feel like I at least understand the concept.
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

I originally was going to go with an overflow box, but then I got the idea from OSD and did this exact method as OSD described, 90deg. elbow and it works just great!! For my 20G I think that the 1.5 elbow does plenty of surface skimming cause in the first few days of my rock curing all the crap that was floating in the water was all ending up in my sump so id say it does a wonderful job!!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

BACK ALL THE WAY!! you can even install an overflow box on the outside and drill a few holes on the pane of glass. this way you can add your bulkheads with strainers and thats all you'll see. not as good for surface skimming but still very decent and now a days its slow flow thru the sump any ways so this method will work great.

Mel
    Do you have a pic of your standpipe Rob? This is a mod I have to make and my tank is drilled in the back. I have marine aquarium's ugliest overflow box in the tank now and the teeth are breaking off. One of these days I'm sure I'll find one of my more adventurous fish in the sump, like the clown or the chromis

no photo yet. I have not cut the teeth into it yet. I will post a pic when it is completed.
    Rob

Mel
    That would be great Rob. The only other thing is that my hole is drilled about 10" down the back and a few inches off centre. Does the low hole make the "T" outside the glass a bit tricky? It's 1.5" ABS at the bulkhead outside the tank then another 90* up to the overflow box which is about 6"X6". Is it safe to assume that the 90 on the inside attached to the bulkhead is 1.5"?

It will be OK

Not really .. as long as its top opening is ABOVE the high water line in your tank you will be OK. It would look like this but be lower in your tank with a longer stand pipe inside and out.
    Rob

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast