Coralife - timer/ wave maker

My question is that it only comes with a 3 foot heavy duty power cord- too short to reach the outlet....will using an extension cord be ok or affect it .

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/sh...logno=wm-esupc

Have you ever thought of a natural wave timer, thats what i use and i love it, its silent and you can have the pumps on an alternating interval every few seconds
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

The answer is yes, as long as you use an extension cord heavy enought to hand the ultimate load. Standard outlets have 15 AMP circuit breakers. You should design your use to be 12 AMPs or less per breaker. So, as long as your extension cord will handle 12 AMPs, you are fine.

Is this the best way to acheive wave making, I don't know. But, it certainly is a reasonably cheap way to get started.

The Natural Wave Timer is reasonably priced too and allows a slightly greater range of currents to be generated.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Before you go buying that electronic wave maker make sure your power heads can handle being turned on and off repeatedly. Some don't fair too well in those circumstances. You would not want to have the .... "SURPRISE" .... you need 4 new power heads thing to happen
    Rob

Currently running maxi jets 1200, from what ive read they are the best for the on and off cycle of a wavemaker.
    cres...thanks for the heads up on the amps required.

No problem. If you are only running a bunch of MaxiJet 1200s (20 Watts each), you won't have to worry about a heavy duty cord.

However, since the powerbar is likely designed to support a total of 15 AMPs, you should plan to support the total possible load. This sort of thinking also prevents fires caused by an electrical octopus overloading and overheating.

Unless you are running multiple 400 Watt lights and all your pumps through one outlet, overload is unlikely.

If you are you should probably have a couple dedicated circuits for your tank.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I have my tank split 2/3 of lights on a lightly loaded circuit and 1/3 of the light and all other equipment on the other more normally loaded circuit. It's the best I could do with my set up.
    Rob