Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tank Hood?

Tank Hood?

I'm getting help building a tank stand and hood. I can't find much on how a tank hood is done though. Does the hood just serve as a decorative cover that fits over the canapy and frame of the tank or does the lighting usually get built right into the hood?

DC22,

I guess you could do either! I have a 35gal diamond and the hood on it is basically just for decoration. I have a regular strip light on the tank. I am also in the process of building a stand for my new 50gal and I will be building the lights right into the hood. I guess it's just prefference really, and how much work you want to put into it! Personally the 35 is a payne cause there is no room inside the hood with the strip light. If you need to put your hand in the tank at all you have to take the whole hood off. This is hard for me as I have plants on top of the tank! With the lights biult in you just open the hood lift the cover and do what you have to do!
    :fish3:Piatchie:fish3:

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Ok, thanks Piatchie.....I don't have my lighting yet, I would like to build the hood now so that I can keep the same grain of wood as the stand. Would it be difficult to build in the lighting at a later time? What kind of clearance does yours have inside to accomadate the lights?
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

DC22, depending how you build your hood it can be very easy to add lighting afterwards.

I did a very simple but nice and efficient design for my hood, I basically made a "box" around the aquarium, mounted some rails inside the hood so that it can rest on top of the aquarium while covering the 1.25" of trim(the box shaped hood goes AROUND the glass and does not sit directly on top of glass, the rails do) then for the lid I just made one with hinges so that it can be opened.

Now as for my lighting I installed it after I had done painting/building my hood, mounted all my lights on my lid cover (when its closed my lights are positioned to illumintae my tank) when the lid is opened, my lights are out of the way so I can freely work on my tank.

If you want a picture of how I did mine let me know ill post some of it completed. Here are some while it was still work-in-progress -> http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...ghlight=canopy

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

AK has the right idea...I don't have mine on the hood though. I'm building my hood to be about 12-15" high...it will have rails inside that will rest on the black band that is around the tank while the molding on the out side will hide the black band fron view! I use a piano hinge for the lid and just have the lights mounted to the top of the hood.....when I open the lidd the lights are 10-12" from the top of the tank so you have plenty of room to work!

Hope this helps!

Why is it called "cargo" when it goes by ship, and "shipment" when it goes by car?

Oh yeah forgot to mention height/clearance...My canopy from base of trim to top of lid is 8", my metal halide mounted on my lid takes up about 3-4" of height and so do my VHO's, so between bottom of lights and water surface I have roughly 5" of room.

The height you build your canopy really depends on what type of lighting you will use and personal asthetics opinion...The only reason I made mine 8" high was to give me enough clearance for my lights and space between lights/water surface and to make sure it matches up with the other trim piece thats also 8" in height below my aquarium...check pics..

AK

Great, Thanks for the help AK and Piatchie! BTW you did a great job on your stand and canapy AK.
    "Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt" Abraham Lincoln

No problem! Thanks DC22!

AK

Ditto! Let us know how you make out!!!!:biggrinbo

Well I picked up the stand today....I still have to finish it though. I'm very pleased with it. How do I guarantee that it will support the tank load?

I would post pics but i don't know how to get the pics from the camera to the computer? It's supposed to detect new hardware automatically, but nothing is happening? I'm a bit of a Donkey when it comes to that stuff.eeved:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast