Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spray-able Expanding Foam ???

Dose anyone have any experience with the spray able expanding foams?
    Are they safe to be in contact with the tanks water once they are cured?
    They are listed as being "water proof". When an item is listed as being "water proof" it usually means they completely repel water and are often inert?
    Any information would be helpful.
    Rob

be very carefull with this item... the expansion on the foam... they could cause serious promblem with warping or breaking the item around the foam have seen people put it around doorframes and later door was jam because of expansion

I am thinking about about using it seal and strengthen my plumbing from the outside by applying it directly to all the joints and places where it passes through the stand. If it is SAFE would make the plumbing COMPLETELY leak proof. If this stuff is the same as Styrofoam when dry i would not have any concerns with using it. However this may not be the case and I need to be 100% sure before doing it. My "gut" feeling it that it is safe but I need confirmation for others who have used it or know more about its properties.
    Rob

I have not used it on my tank..., yet as I am considerigng using it to make a fake wall on eno end of my bigger tank. many pople use it to make fake backgrounds in the tank by covering it with some sand before it dries completely. SO yes you can use it with no problem, but what about if you ever have to undo or remove one of these plumbing joints? It will be impossible with this stuff all over the joint!!

Thats a good point Greg but it is moot in this case. The piping would have to be cut with or without the foam in place to make any changes to the fittings. As far as I can see forward the only reason I would have to take it apart would be if there was a leak. I also know that if a leak were to develop it would be much harder to correct once everything is wet. That's why I prefer to cover my behind and seal it up now. Thanks for info Greg I will seal those joints tomorrow when I have the tank out to do touch ups to the paint.
    Rob

Just to add a little.

Water will only touch the expanding foam IF a leak forms in the plumbing, right?

Unless it is offgassing tremendous amounts of unwanted material, or you remove the plumbing completely, there will be no significant contact between the system water and the foam (even if the plumbing starts to leak).

People have used it in tanks, both fresh and saltwater, but, typically they have sealed it with epoxy after letting it dry.

Then they add another coat of epoxy and coat that with sand or whatever.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

That's correct Cris .. It is just a peace of mind kind of thing because I will have very limited access to the back side of the tank once it is where it goes. Spray foam seem like a good choice. Even epoxy only says "water resident" on the labels these days.
    Rob

That seems a bit extreme rob, how are you going to get it around the joints, you would have to make some sort of shuttering to spray the foam into. I wouldn't want to use it for that, as for he gaps in the stand it would be fine. Test the plumbing first, if it doesn't leak now why would it start, and i dont think if one of the joints started to leak the foam would stop it.

Frank, if the door sticks because of expansion of the foam then the door was not fixed properly in the first place, i have used foam for years and if it is used correctly, it is amazing stuff. There are too many cowboys and not enough indians here.
    We need more Indians!

whoops i am not referring to this site But if the cap fits..........
    We need more Indians!

Steve . I have only used it at the threaded, Teflon joints at the back side of the bulkhead fitting. Any leak that could happen would be small in any case. However ... once the tank is in place it would be very difficult to address those locations so I did it as a precaution. I am sure that a non pressurized leak would be stopped by that foam. I just sprayed it around the 1.5 inch adapters at the back of the bulkheads. Small leaks can occur at Teflon taped joints from time to time.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast