Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Water level in sump

From what I have read and researched most people like to keep the water levels in their sump an inch or two above their baffles or approximately half full. Is there a reason why?

Why wouldn't you keep the water level as high as you can as long as it can handle the overflow and drains in the case of a power outtage.

Also, how low can you setup your baffles and what is the required clearance from the bottom and top?

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Pickoff, Will this be a sump for the 90gal listed in your sig?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

No, this will be a 75 gallon sump for my new 180 gallon I am setting up.

You may want to take a look at my sump design that I'm using on my 180gal...

http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...highlight=sump

I'm quite happy with it.

You need the reserve capacity in case of power failures. When the pumps go off the additional water that has be added to the tank by the pumps to create the overflow effect will flow back into the sump. You can do the math and add 15 to 20% to the expected volume that would flow back and set the sump level accordingly. A lot of water can pass under a baffle that is even only 1/2 inch off bottom across the width of the sump tank. if you go much smaller a space then that the water will speed up as it passes through the baffles and carry air with it. A inch off bottom is likely a good idea.
    Rob

I would like to run my sump water level as high as possible, so I don't have to top up as often. I am going to turn off the return pump and allow the water to drain into the sump. Once all the water has drained, I will top up the sump and turn the return pump back on. With the pump running I will mark the level of the water in the sump as my maximum top up level.

As for the spacing at the bottom of the baffle, I was thinking two inches off the bottom, but from what Salty is saying that may be too much. I'll try one inch. How about the top baffle? Can it go right to the top of the sump?

Cool

your sump level has nothing to do with the amount you top off. evaporation does and you can't mess with this at all! your salinity has to stay dead even all the time.

As water evaporates, the water level in the sump, directly where the return pump is, will drop.

Johnny is correct . Having a large sump capacity is good because it add to the total water volume of the system but when you have a big sump and let it's level fall a lot you will be spiking your salinity every time that sump gets real low. The bigger the sump the bigger the impact on the system when it is real low. Top up should be done daily or automatically if possible.
    Rob

Thanks guys, I wrongly assumed that fluctuations in the sump wouldn't affect the display tank much. It does make sense now that I think of it, considering I will be circulating approximately 1200 gal/hr through my return.

I may have to consider automatic topup, but I didn't intend on using a Calcium reactor. Is there a way to automatically topup without going through a calcium reactor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast