Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sump help

Sump help

Here is a picture of the sump I am doing. It is simple as it is my first one. It is a 10g I am using for a 45. First is this okay?

Second what does the distance betwen the each paine of glass need to be to form the baffles?

The glass paines I cut are 9", 9" and 8" The are in that order on the diagram.

All I want for Christmas is my other toes...:jump3:

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Doesn't look bad.... except...

The returns will yield a LOT of bubbles, and current... If you plan on having a refugium with sand, this will not work. The bubbles may cause problems with the refugium inhabitants, but moreso will be a problem with any substate in that area getting blown all over by the rush of current coming from the drain pipes.
    I would in the very least place a baffle directly to the right of the drains, or even relocate your current baffles over to the left (all at 9"), and have one final baffle to the left of the return pump to "box in" your refugium area.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Ah I see, I try a new design hmmm. I have some ideas....

Don't mind my spelling error.

How does this look, I really need some guidence in ref to the baffles

imo, i would have 3 baffles next to the returns,(why 2 returns?) then place your return pump in its own compartment next to the baffles, with a separation and have the refugium on the right, you can then divert some of the water from the return pump into the refug and control it with a gatevalve. Where is your skimmer, and what size is the sump?
    We need more Indians!

plus at the moment the water in your drawing should be all one level
    We need more Indians!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    FourToedJoe,

I'd lose the bio-balls.. They'll be a nitrate factory in no-time.
    Steve666 made a good observation that I missed... Where's the skimmer located?

A 10 gallon tank in my opinion is too small... I'd go with atleast a 20 gallon...

You want the space between the baffles to be about 1" with the amount of flow going through there.

Ideally I'd place 3 baffles immediately after the drains, followed by the refugium area, another baffle, and then the return pump. I'd use 9" baffles throughout.
    This is bearing in mind that you don't have a skimmer... (as there is none pictured).

If you have a skimmer, a slightly different approach is needed to take care of bubbles from the skimmer.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I have a 15 gal that I can use and I might be able to get a 20 or 25 aswell. I don't plan on having a skimmer right now. This is my first attempt with the system. I saw OSD diagram which helps.

One other thing to consider, that I've seen, is to set one set of baffles such that you can add a filter, like carbon, as temporarily needed. You can create a rack to hold a bag of carbon, or mechanical filter, etc.

The purpose of the baffles is to help remove the bubbles that will be created by the water falling to the sump (or by the skimmer). The smaller the gap between the baffles, the faster the water will travel and the less effective the baffles will be.

You should make some provision in your sump for a skimmer, even if you don't plan to get one right away. (insert compelling arguments here)
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast