Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Noisy Sump and bublbles galor!

I just ran a test of my newly designed sump and drain and to my unpleasant surprise, it was quite noisy and the return is producing tons of bubbles.

I have two 1.5 drains joining into a 2 inch pipe. The drains are T'd from the outside of the tank.

My sump design has plenty of baffles to disipitate bubbles, but it doesn't seem to be working very well. The design is borrowed from an Aquaria member and it seems to work very well for him. I am wondering what I am doing wrong.

My return is a mag 18 plumbed using 1 inch spa flex. The return is T's back to the refugium to provide it flow.

I would appreciate some advice/suggestions for resolving my problems.

I will post some pics soon..

you don't have the Ts caped do you?
    Rob

you could block one of the drains, this would halve your problems!
    We need more Indians!

This works well for me

One drain may not handle that water volume Steve. I'm running 2 i.5 inch drains directly into Ts at the back of the tank and these Ts are 1.5" X 2". They both drain into 2" pipe and down to the sump. The only noise i have now is water flowing over the media in the top of the sump. There's no air and no gurgling. The blue caps on the top of the Ts didn't even have to be removed but holes can be drilled in them if need be to let air out.
    Rob

I tried a couple of things. I first left my T's uncapped, then capped them. Capping them reduced some of the noise.

From what I could see when I removed the caps, it looked like the noise came from the 1.5 inch drain dropping down into the 2 inch drain pipe. OSD, I altered your design for the drain slightly by bringing down the 1.5 T's to a 2 pipe running diagonally down to the sump.

OSD is right, 1 drain will not handle the mag 18.

Here are the drains:

Here is part of the sump:

Cool

Is that sump in running mode??[if so] I think some of your baffles are to high.the water would be cascading over those causing more bubbles. also, MAG 18 would probaly cause the water to move to fast thru that sump for the bubbles to disappate. Thats a common problem with major flow thru the sump and is why lots of people are turning to either closd loops or Tunzes powerheads.You could wrap those pipes in insulating and this will help,also after some time the pipes will be a little quieter from slime [bacteria/algea] coating but there right in the open so perfect silence probaly won't happen. do you plan to encase the tank?? inwall.

Mel
    I have the same setup as your left side except with a single drain to the sump. My setup is also full of bubbles and my drain is noisy even after capping the top pipe from the "T". I believe the mistake I made was allowing the drain to flow straight down too far. The waterfall created is very noisy and the majority of the bubbles are created when the water hits the bottom of the fall. I had the same setup (outside the tank) previously except with some 90 deg. pieces to prevent the water from falling too far and it worked very quietly.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hi Pickoff,
    Can you post a picture of the entire sump?

Is the drain submersed under water in the sump? In the picture it doesn't look like it would be.
    My drains are submersed, and I have cut slots into them to dissipate air out easily.

Here's some pictures of what I mean:

IN action...

Under water...

This works well for the person that I copied it from, as well as for me.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast