Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lighting Debate!

My tank is now just over 2 yrs old and I have been collecting equip. to go bigger but I'm at the point where I have to replace 4 of my 40W NO flourescents. At a cost of $35 per bulb or $140 I'm thinking of scraping the lighting I have now( 6 x 40W) for 2 x 110W VHO's. Wattages aren't much different but someone with experience would be a great help as I've never witnessed VHO's! I plan on running these probably on a WH ballast, can anyone tell me if these ballasts are designed to overdrive as to get more from a bulb giving me more for my 110W x 2 ? In the future I want to have MH and the VHO's set up with actinic. Am I right to believe the order of preference is NO, Cmp Flo, VHO or T5, and then MH?

Cool

why are you paying that $$$$$ for NO lamps.shopping at BIGALS!!?? theres lightings store in the yellow pages that will get/sell actinics in NO for $18 or so. the sylvannia true light NO is a great daylight tube as well.$8

That's the standard price for NO around here, Welcome to the maritimes!!!!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

So do the workhorse and icecap ballasts overdrive the lights so they appear to be brighter. Can someone tell me if having 2 vho's would be worth it over 6 no's, even though the vho's are a total of 220W and the no's are 240W?
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I think it is worth it to have the vho because you get more punch from the light- it will travel farther through the water and supply more light at the bottom of the tank. You should use vho bulbs with the workhorse or the icecap to get the appropriate light. Supposedly Icecap ballasts will not overdrive n.o. bulbs as they have some sort of smart circuitry, I'm not sure about the workhorse. I also think that it will be cheaper to buy 2 vho bulbs than 6 no bulbs...I think.. maybe not in your neck o'the woods.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Well your right about the 2 vho's being cheaper than the 6 no's , I just checked the shopping cart here with Ivan and I can get the vho's for the same price as n.o. here in my hometown. More shopping at AquariaCanada coming soon!

Just researching about T5 lighting and I'm trying to find out the depth of tank they are good for, anyone know?

Cool

VHO ballasts will overdrive NO lamps but thats no bigdeal as NO lamps are cheap, but,, VHO lamps have better coloration and should of course be used on a VHO ballast. from what I understand, WORKHORSE is made to fire only 1! VHO lamp under warranty. some wire it to fire up 2 but your not supposed to.[fire!!!!!]
    T5 lighting is also a very good route as I seen some on Ivans tanks and it looks awsome. I still think to date the ICECAP 660 VHO is the best electronic ballast made. AC also carry's low wattage MH setups If I'm not mistaken.

I don't think there is any suggestion that wiring 2 (or more) VHO bulbs to a WH7 leads to fires. Some people have had the unfortunate experience of a fire in their lighting. But, this has been traced to other problems.

The concern which I have seen Fulham express about multiple VHO bulbs on WH7's relates to reduced bulb life with repetitive on/off cycling and questions about whether the bulbs are driven to their full capacity. Given the number of people who dirve multiple bulbs from one WH7, the issues would seem to not be major.
    Nick

Cool

nickb, there has been posts of ballasts [workhorse] burning up in the past, as well, they themselves tell you NOT to run 2 vho lamps.so If they say not to, then there must be a reason.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast