Cool 33 gallon reef aquarium start up

I was thinking of setting up a reef aquarium (soft corals only), I was doing some research on the sand bed, lighting, water circulation, sump and protein skimmers. I wanted to set up a 33 gallon reef but I was not sure if this tank was to small.

liv
    a 33 is a nice start, the bigger the better for water stability, but all goes with your budget.

with a 33g, you would also want a good 33-40lbs of LR.
    some good lighting possibly a small metal halide either a few 70w's or 1 or 2 175w lights. sand beds are a very debateable subject, on a 33g, a 6" sandbed might look a bit ridiculous as it would be possibly 1/3 of the tank. i'd suggest just enough to cover the bottom, 1 - 2 ". water circulation, a few powerheads would do the trick. 33gallons * 5 times an hour, 165gph.. get 2 small powerheads on each back corner, have them point at the same spot in the middle, this should make some nice turbulance. protein skimmer, are you going with a sump ? Rob ( old salty dog ) on this group can drill your tank for you to put some piping and use a sump to put your heating and skimmer in it. you can also put more LR &/or sand in there for added filtration.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Liv ... that's "ONE" salty dog .. even if I am "OLD"
    Rob

I wasn't planning on using a sump right away (just a protein skimmer to start) and I thought about using just soft corals. I do have the sand which I was intending to cover only about one inch along the bottom with one powerhead (rated at 160- 290 GPH).

I had found different types of salt on the market, is the a brand that you anyone would recommend or are they all the same.

Also, I had read that hydrometer's tend not to be calibrated, the one's I saw at the store do not mention anything about calibration. I thought you can puchase digital hydrometers (calibrated and more accurate, but I didn't find any?)

liv
    oops.. sorry about that Rob... had forgotten the the o.s.d. meaning.

for the powerhead, 1 is usually not enough.. you need more fluxuation, two powerheads should be a minimum.. the 1 will have too much of a continuous flow.

the are lots of debates on this.. but i'd get IO salt., you can get it right here.

get a refractometer ( also sold on this site ).
    you can get 7.0water to calibrate it.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30