Thread: Fuge pump

Fuge pump

Hello

I plan to build a fuge over top of the main display tank. I plan to pump water from the main display tank, up ti the fuge, and have it gravity drain back down to the display tank. What can/should I use to pump the water up to the fuge?

Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:
    Assorted mushrooms, Zoanthids, Finger Leather.

Turnover rate through the fuge is usually somewhat lower then through a sump. Over the tank IS the way to go and i would think 5 times the tanks volume would be a good place to start. If you use a Valve on the pumps output you can adjust as necessary.
    Rob

This picture I think show basically what i want to do. The reason I want to pump from the tank, is because I dont want to drill the main tank. Im just unsure of what kind of pump I would need to do this. Could I use a pwerhead, or do they make a pump for this type of application?

Thanks.

Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    27 Gallon Saltwater tank, 110W PC Light, Seaclone 100, 5 gallon HOB Fuge,Approx. 30lbs Live rock, Aragamax sand substrate.
    Livestock:
    Tomato clown, Mandarin dragonnet, Bicolor Angel, Assorted hermits and snails, Cleaner Shrimp.
    Corals:

What's the height that the pump will need to work against?
    Rob

About 12"
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    Livestock:
    Corals:

I would suggest one of the small MAG pumps. Get one that will manage more water and put a valve on it so you can use it in the future. There is not a huge difference from the smallest one to one a few steps up in flow rate. You could even use the excess flow to add circulation to the tank proper. I also don't think you really need that baffle in your frug because the water line on the other side where the hole is will be empty for the most part. Just drill the exit hole close to the top or highest desired water line. Be sure the supply line is not submersed in the frug or you will see a back siphon effect when there is a power or pump failure.
    Rob

Thanks for he help Rob
    Cheers,
    Mark

Setup:
    Livestock:
    Corals: