Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Aquasafe Plumbing Question?

I recently purchased a Aquasafe RO/DI unit but am a bit bewildered by this needle piercing valve. When following directions it sounds pretty easy but they've left out a few parts. With the valve you get a black rubber seal thingy with a stem protruding from it and a 1/2" brass rivot without the nail. The directions read as follows, install clamp on pipe and tighten valve to make your mark, remove clamp and drill 1/8 hole then repositon clamp. Now, how are the two pieces that I previously described positioned and installed because it has no mention of them? And yes your talking to a plumbing idiot so please keep this as descriptive as possible and pictures are worth a 1000 words, Thanks in advance for any and all of your help!
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

I don't know what kit you have because the only "peacing" valves I have seen do not require any drilling of any pipes. Usually you just clamp the valve onto the pipe and screw in the valve. Doing this Perice's the pipe.
    Rob

This is the quote out of the manual:
    Position the needle-piercing valve where you can get to it. It is normally best to have the valve handle on the right (unless you are left-handed) and the connection facing towards the cabinet doors. Tighten the two nuts and bolts. If everything looks good, then tighten the handle and pierce the pipe.
    6.1 Take the clamp off after piercing and drill out the hole
    with a 1/8" bit If you have soft rubber tubing, the book says to remove it and replace with copper or rigid plastic. My view is if you have to throw it away, why not try it?? You almost always need to drill out a hole and center the piercer over the hole. The soft rubber tends to expand and fill the needle hole. I have always gotten them to work.
    I'll look to see if I can find a pic of a similiar one!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

The one that came with my kit and the ones I have seen in the past use a rubber saddle that is pinched between the valve and the pipe. What you have with your kit sounds somewhat different. Don't forget to turn off the water and drain the lines before you drill it out.
    Rob

I'm going to try to attach a drawing of a similiar valve , hope this works. The rivot I was refering to is part # 13.8, I also see that there are two different compression ring, one brass and the other plastic as is the same as my kit. Am I to assume that if your using plastic tubing , you insert the brass sleeve into the plastic tubing and use the plastic compression ring. If copper tubing is used disregard the sleeve and use the brass comp. ring.

You just can't believe my excitement over the fact that I mastered this attachment thingy !!!! lol:bounce:

OK ... this is the type I have used in the past and there was never any requirement to drill after the piercing operation was completed. They are self sealing during the piercing movement of the valve pin.
    Rob

OK the rivet is required so that the compression fitting will not just distort the tubing. But that part has nothing to do with the peacing operation. That's just how the exit water line attach's to the valve. Once the valve is turned into the pipe and pierces it no water will flow until you open the valve which draws the piercing pin out of the hole it made in the pipe.
    Rob

A simple pic is worth a 1000 words, the two different compression ring in the pkg had me thinking as well till I seen this pic. I did a search on google and found it, made the installation seem alot easier.

that quote of the drilling is for the drainline! not the peircing line. they changed up the parts for peircing a bit and theres a few extras for some unknown reason. FISHERMAN just installed a new unit as well. If I remember correctly its just put the black rubber piece inside the chamber+the copper tubing and install.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast