Plimbing a drain

OK, what should be a simple question. I am adding a sump to my tank and need to plumb the drain. I've read a lot and have got the basic design down but have a question.

The drain will use a backwall bulkhead to a 'tee' and Durso-type drain outside the tank. The bulkhead has a slip exterior fitting. I am planning to add a union before the tee to permit me to separate the drain unit from the tank for maintainence. So, I would plumb:

bulkhead ->small bit of pipe-> union->small bit of pipe->tee.

All of these will be glued. It will let me separate the drain but I won't be able to remove the bulhead from the tank since the union is too big to fit thorugh the hole. Finally, my question:

If you have a slip-type bulkhead, how do you plumb so that you could remove the bulkhead?
    Nick

The only way to permit you to remove the bulkhead is to
    a) install the bulkhead backwards so the locking nut is on the inside of the tank
    b) leave a bit more pipe between the bulkhead and the union so you can actually cut the pipe if you need to remove the bulkhead
    c) not glue anything and try to prevent leaks by using silicone/putty

Not all unions are threaded so get the "slip"fit type and do as you described in your post. The only drawback is the added distance needed between the back of the tank and the wall.
    If by chance you can not find "slip" fit unions buy a short piece of PVC pipe with one end threaded. Cut it as necessary to allow you to glue the smooth part of the pipe into the backside of the bulkhead and then you can screw the union onto the threaded portion.
    Rob

Thanks OSD. I do have the slip bulkheads. The trouble is that the run of connectors I mention comes out to about 15" in length which is more space than I have available. Guess I'll move the union to the down line from the tee.

newguy - I thought about some of those ideas but want to avoid haven't to cut pipe to remove the bulkead and want glue and the 'right' bulkhead direction. That limits my options :-(
    Nick

also, on most bulkeads th nut should be on the dry side so the gasket can do its job on the inside. If I'm not mistaken doesn't the bulkheads Ivan carries have both slip and threaded on the out side?

The one I have does have a thread on the outside for the nut. However, it is non-standard for threaded PVC and won't fit threaded PVC connectors.
    Nick

Cool

yeh your right. slip it is. just throw a union as you mentioned and enough pipe right after the bulkhead so that you can cut it if your tear down the tank. this way you can remove the bulkhead if need be but still have enough pipe to glue a coupler on there for next time.