Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Custom Stand and Canopy

Hi everyone!

First off, am I ever excited I found this place... Thanks Ironman! I think that having a forum like this from day one is going to change a lot of my opinion of how hard it is to find good equipment and livestock in my area. Remember, this comes from a person who, up until about 10 minutes ago, thought Big Al's was the only place to buy marine stuff.

Anyway, on to my question...

I'm planning a large tank and I am expecting to put a fair amount of money, time, more money, effort, and even more money into it, so I want to do EVERYTHING the way I want it from the get go. As it stands, I'm planning a either 120-gallon or 185-gallon tank. Once I know what I choose, I'll buy the glass. The next step is a custom stand and canopy.

I'm looking for one done the way I want, according to certain specifications. Obviously nothing from a factory comes the way I want it (someone should tell Oceanic and All-Glass that we reefers would like a canopy that can accommodate MH's).

I'm looking for a GOOD custom builder, one with excellent customer service and willing to work with me to do this stand the way I want. Secondarily, a nice reasonable price for a young girl getting into the hobby would be a bonus.
    Jenn

i hope you set aside a fat budget.hahahahah

welcome to a fun non stopping hobby.

Not to sway your decision at all, but, if you get the 185, you can join the presigious "Large Tank" forum. The boundary seems to be 180.

And, I presume that the 180 is the display tank. ;-)

Take a look around here, you will find many examples of custom tank stands people have built. That should get you a starting point to talk to a builder.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Hobby??? this isnt any hobby, it's an addiction

Welcome to AC.
    -Dazz

Jenn, send a PM to Johnny Rock for info...not too long ago he posted a strong recommendation for a guy here in Ottawa that builds custom stands. I noticed your in the GTA, but you could have something built and either pick it up or have it sent. Don't know about the pricing, but probably worth a discussion.
    Keep passing the open windows!

We have all kinds of furniture and cabinetmakers and such around the K-W area. If you want good quality and well built stuff you should maybe come down and talk to the Mennonite furniture makers. If you come up with a design and the type of material you want to use they can build it. Some may not have a formal education but don't let that fool you. They know what they are doing when it comes to work working.

Regards,

Scott
    Oh my that's expensive :canadian: oof:

My own opinion........Go with the 185gallon!!!! You'll regret it if you don't. I started out with a 55 gallon. At first your think man that aquarium is huge!!!! But after a while after looking at it you'll0 start to think" Gee's I can't fit anything else in there". Then out with the old and in with the new. Now my 75 gallon seems small!!! I think this hobby is more greed than anything, always wanting bigger.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Is this going to be your first tank? I am asking because I have upgraded 3 time in the past two years, however, I am still not up to 180. I would not have even dreamed of that size starting out. I am not trying to be negative, I am just not a risk taker myself and I can't help but admire your gumption if your starting that big.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Send me your ideas, drawings, specifications and i can give you a quote for your tank stand and canopy.
    We need more Indians!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast